Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

GM 1.7td low blow problem

HI,
    After the van throwing a conrod through the block we've had the engine replaced with one from a breakers, 83k on it alledgedly? some parts were needed from the old engine e.g turbo and fuel pump.It starts fine and sounds very smooth until you start accelerating(use this term loosely as its like a slug on vallium!) when you accelerate it starts to get very noisey sounding more like an old transit!! and it's well down on the power the previous engine had(150k on the clock) we've also notice a slight leak on the fuel pump.Ive read somewhere that there are a couple of different makes of pump for this engine, and that if you fit a different make from that of the original it was fitted with it can cause the symptoms above?? can anyone shed any light on this???

cheers
    Mac

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's sounds really knocky and not accelerating, then I'd say your first point of call would be the engine thermostat. Sounds like it's not reading correctly, so the engine is stuck in warmup cycle. Ignore the dashboard temp guage - it runs off a different sensor. The engine thermostat is on the water pump. The one that runs the dash guage is in the radiator end tank.

I've also seen this same thing happening on my DTi when the EGR wasn't plugged in correctly. That was joined by the orange check engine light. I'm not sure if the old TD has an EGR, though.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the quick response i'll take a look when i get in tonight, fingers crossed it is that, i'll post my findings.
    cheers mate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just a thought, i dont suppose you have a pic of where on the engine this is? just had a quick look and couldnt see anything near the water pump?
    forgot to mention its a 1997 if that helps?
    thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't, but you should find a wire coming out of the engine somewhere near where the radiator hoses go into the engine. It'll be like a bronze nut with a cable coming out of it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    spot on! just clean the terminals and now seems much better loads quieter and pulls much much better. Many thanks ZS you're a star!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    If it's sounds really knocky and not accelerating, then I'd say your first point of call would be the engine thermostat. Sounds like it's not reading correctly, so the engine is stuck in warmup cycle. Ignore the dashboard temp guage - it runs off a different sensor. The engine thermostat is on the water pump. The one that runs the dash guage is in the radiator end tank.

I've also seen this same thing happening on my DTi when the EGR wasn't plugged in correctly. That was joined by the orange check engine light. I'm not sure if the old TD has an EGR, though.
    sorry to dig up the post, my temp guage dont work, and ive replaced the temp sender switch - aka coolant temp sensor, would i need to change the thermostat in the thermostat housing ? is this located near the temp sender switch or the waterpump, bit confused on your comment

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The guage only work by the sensor on the radiator. The ECU only works by the sensor on the water pump.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so if i was to walk into my local motor factors for that sensor for the rad what am i asking for ?

cheers for the pointers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "The sensor on the radiator" should do it, if your motorfactors have any sort of clue.

Also check the wire just at the plug on the sensor, they quite often get brittle and break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast