Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audi S3 opinions

SXi Stu

Audi S3 opinions

Not really sure what car I facny getting next, tbh I dont know if I want ANOTHER Astra, had a few now...... Ive been looking at the 2001 spec Audi S3, just wondered if anyone has driven/owned one of these that can let me know what they are like???

The 1.8T seems like a pretty tuneable engine is this right?? Also what are they like to live with on a day to day basis? General opinions??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.8T is a very reliable (Minus the coil packs), and very tunable engine. According to Revotechnik the 150bhp variant can be tuned to 200bhp with ease, no mention of aftermarket exhaust needed.

They also have Forged pistons as standard.

Audi S3's are lovely cars in my opinion.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice enough cars, tunable, reliable etc, not the best to drive though.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Really nice cars, especially in yellow

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very very nice cars. My mate has a 2001 yellow S3. Build and performance are very good. There is a change over around 2001 from memory pre-2001 were 215bhp and post were 220bhp. As with the Zlet a simple remap can give excellent gains. Only thing Im not keen on them is the Hladex 4wd system, rather than a permenant setup, it runs fwd most of the time but as soon as it detects slip it brings the rear wheels into play. I personally found this to un-settle the car slightly as it comes in with a bit of a clunk......you can howver remap teh 4wd ecu as well

Have a look on the audi-sport forums lots of info on there.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice, reliable, not the prettiest of cars in the world, but its function over form alot of the time.

The haldex in principle is a great system, in reality its like marmite, u either love it or hate it.

Potentially the cars are excellent, but they are heavy and imo this shows in the handling sometimes. Alot have higher miles too

SXi Stu
    thanks for the input guys, came across an audi forum earlier and kinda confirmed alot of what you have said with regards to them being heavy, just been reading up on the Haldex system and apparently there are different maps or something for this as well, something that coule be looked into i think.

Like every car I think im going to need a test drive to see what I think.

Is an S3 potentially more tuneable than the GSI??

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes - if its the 225 later version with the larger turbo. 300bhp with no internal mods. Intake, exhaust, chip and afew sensor changes will see 300 no probs

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The flip side is the 210bhp cars have stronger rods (19mm rather than 18mm) so can take more power in the long run. Its just the turbo internals are slightly different

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its the same old thing of money. The S3 will cope with the power a lot better due to having the 4wd. Biggest down side I found with the S3 is the price, most hold a high premium even high mileage cars (ok its an audi but theres a limit), and also with the new S3 due out I would have thought that will also have affects on premiums.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast