Thread: coupe turbo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

coupe turbo

ok sorry this prob gets asked alot but my searches of previous posts arent coming to much.

whats the deal with the turbos packing up on these!?? i know a fair few of you have coupe turbos on here so hopefully i can get some straight answers rather than answers i seem to be getting elsewere from people who dont actually really know.

i want one so much been saving for ages for a new car and its looking like june or july time

but i keep hearing bad things and also know a guy who works as a recovery driver reckoning hes picking one up every other week with a knackered turbo.

on the other hand iv heard a few people saying its bollox and there reliable. internet reviews on the car mention sensors water pumps and the other usual crap but not anything about the turbos going...?

so what am i supposed to do ?

cheers for any help guys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What mileage has it done?

You'll probs find that the original turbo tends to pack in at anything between 40 & 80K (judging by testimonies of other owners on here)

You'd be best checking out the specific Turbo forum for more details on this as it gets covered quite frequently.

If u are in need of a new turbo then a VXR one is a damn sight cheaper than the ZLET one.

Mods: May care to move this to ZLET forum for wider (knowledgeable) audience

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    The turbos do pack up they suffer from wear. It all depends on how the turbo has been treated throughout its life.
    IE kept off boost for a few miles before turning off
    Service regulary (with the correct viscosity of oil)
    Allowed time for the oil to heat up and become more viscous ect.

But general public don't they drive like normal on boost get home turn it off and only really service it once a year regardless of miles or in some cases only when theres a problem. But you have to now think that the Z20LET engine is becoming older and higher milage (avg 12'000 miles per year means that 4 years will take it nearly to 50K) therefore you are likely to experience some type of failure. Its just wear and tear and them going regulary now means only that they are getting older. The VXR turbo seems to be able to handle alot more punishment therefore is the preferred choice to replace it with.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine went at just over 70k. No need for a recovery truck though, the car can still be driven to a garage, just uses oil quickly and blows out clouds of white smoke.

Brand new VXR turbo is only £500, so not really a big deal if you get 40k+ out of it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ppl have still got oringnal turbos at 100k,its down 2 how u treat an engine and how u look after if,servicing etc
    is like i got a zlet here,done 40k but is clean as hell not rattles etc,but i seen another one supposingly done same miles and was a smoking.
    if u gona boll*ck it then it wont last 40k never mind 100k

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The bottom line is if you are buying a second hand coupe turbo then budget for a new turbo if it's not recently had one. Gives you a chance to upgrade to a VXR one anyway if it does go. It's just your luck really though - my old coupe did 50k on the original turbo and it was fine, although a lot of people say 60k is a common point for them to go. Not the end of the world though and certainly wouldn't stop me buying another.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for your replies

i guess budgeting for new one would be the best bet then. suppose the problem is no matter how well you look after a car you dont know how well the previous owner has.