Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestions for Modifications??!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any Suggestions for Modifications??!

I've just got a 1.6 8v mk4 as my first car and like the rest of 17 year olds i want it to have a bit more edge! already got the sxi wheels and the irmscher grill but now lookin for bit extra performance without going silly, any IDEAS?!?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got a 1.6 8v, found an iduction kit to be better than the veccy c mod just make sure u get lots of cold air to it, cat back exhaust system, ectok valve, if u want any help pm me mate
    The car in front is my astra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Welcome to AS mate.

I'm affraid the 1.6 is a bit of a duck when it comes to performance. First things to do though is to derestrict the airbox and fit a Vectra C Diesel air intake and then purchase a K&N panel filter. This has been covered many times and there is a how 2 on how to go about doing. Basically it removes the restrictive cones from the airbox allowing air to travel faster. The Vectra C Diesel air intake is a much bigger (nearly twice the size) air intake to get more air into the airbox. £80 in total.

Next up you want to be looking at an exhaust. Cat back system with a decent backbox. £200 roughly

Then you may want to remap the car. £250 which will take advantage of the mods you've currently done. But don't be expecting anything too special the 1.6 isn't great at all for basic modding and requires alot of money to get it anywhere really. So after you've done the above bits I recon you'll be up by about 15-18BHP. But it will make it alot better to drive.

Stop away from open cone filters as they induct hot air and will sap performance during the summer especially.

Take a look at www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk for your requirements plenty of mods / upgrades to be had.

Welcome again mate hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    Stop away from open cone filters as they induct hot air and will sap performance during the summer especially.
    Even if ducted directly 2 the air inlet?
    Arden Blue GSi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    its open type ones you should stay clear of, and duckting straight to the intakes a bad idea
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra_Dan View Post
    ive got a 1.6 8v, found an iduction kit to be better than the veccy c mod just make sure u get lots of cold air to it, cat back exhaust system, ectok valve, if u want any help pm me mate
    whats this ectok valve?
    i got an 8v to so if these mods (remap, exhaust) were carried out and say it got an extra 20bhp which gives it a total of 103bhp, would there be much difference, ie acceleration or top speed?? (sorry to jump in)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aarocap View Post
    whats this ectok valve?
    i got an 8v to so if these mods (remap, exhaust) were carried out and say it got an extra 20bhp which gives it a total of 103bhp, would there be much difference, ie acceleration or top speed?? (sorry to jump in)
    i tbh wouldnt even expect 20bhp from them all,

best bet is to enjoy what you have, look after it after everyone your age crashes their cars and covers them with stick on spoilers and other crap just realise you've got a decent car, save up and when you can afford it buy a 1.8 or higher, then your money can start to get some decent performance gains,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    i tbh wouldnt even expect 20bhp from them all,

best bet is to enjoy what you have, look after it after everyone your age crashes their cars and covers them with stick on spoilers and other crap just realise you've got a decent car, save up and when you can afford it buy a 1.8 or higher, then your money can start to get some decent performance gains,
    thats what i'd say, no point in spending money trying to get more out of a 1.6 because you wont see much gain, even spending silly money because it'd be better just to buy a car with a bigger engine.

I've just gone from a 1.4 to a 1.8 and at first there was a huge difference but now even the 1.8 feels a bit slow

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    since when did you sign up alex?! lol!

as regards to the car, it is a 1.6 8v, and has the de-restricted airbox/k&n panel filter, upgraded ice/sxi suspension but mostly all of this is to keep it nice and standard as insurance is a nightmare, i know cos it was me who did all the modding!

next step for me would be suspension because it is a bit wallowy, doesnt matter about going fast in manchester, just about it sticking like glue IMO!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to spoil everyones fun on whats already been said but seeing as the car in question is an 8v variant then Id advise going for a cone filter instead of the derestrict method. The little 8v engines dont suffer from heat soak as much as the 16v counterparts. Vauxhall 8valves and induction kits actually go together perfectly. Ok get a decent cold air feed sorted - but this can easily be a DIY job instead of investing in anything too drastic.

Sort the suspension out - u can get decent kits for less than £200 these days and perform just as good as the rest. Drop it about 40-50mm and you'll see a damn good improvement. Bigger wheels would be good but judging by ur age and the fact u already have alloys from a "sportier" model then this may not be the best option.

A cat back exhaust would be my next option - these can be had quite reasonably too. Either buy together or seperately - I say buy a remus straight thru centre section (or any other brand) £70 and mate it up to a decent performance rear section - these can be had for as little as £70 or so.

Once this is sorted Id just be concentrating on giving it a damn good service - plugs (uprated if u so wish), all fluids and filters etc...and maybe concentrate on interior mods seeing as you will probably have reached the max with regards to power.

You could always go for a remap but this would be best done when all the physical mods have already taken place.

Which 8v have u got by the way?

Pre 2000 X16SZR single point injection

or Post 2000 Z16SE multi point injection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast