Thread: Have I messed up my coolant ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have I messed up my coolant ?

I had my coolant replaced in my MK3 by a garage 2 months ago because there was insufficient anti-freeze in it. I was there when the garage tested it, the engine temp gauge rose up and the fan kicked in and cooled it down.
    Anyway, I had a water leak, and kept topping it up with anti-freeze due to the time of year. I eventually replaced the split hose, lost a lot of fluid and topped up with half water/half anti-freeze.

Anyway I got stuck in traffic the other day, the temp guage rose and went up to 100C and I'm sure the fan wasn't kicking in.

Have I possibly got the balance of coolant and anti-freeze incorrect such that the thermostat isn't telling the fan to kick in ?
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Yes it certainly sounds like it unless the thermostat is knackered.

Take the bottom hose off the rad drain it all out and start again, especially as your coming into summer and therefore should be adding more water to the mix.

You could also replace the thermostat as a matter of course as well there not very expensive.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the thermostat doesnt tell the fan to kick in, thats the fan switch which is screwed into the side of the rad. (which could have dirty connections etc so maybe test this with a circuit tester to make sure it activates the fan)

If the termostat is sticking, The termostat will either keep the engine temp very cold and hardly rise above the blue, or it will be constantlyup in the red with the fan on constantly.

My Mk3 takes a while to warm up and run just below 90 on the gauge. But as soon as i stand in traffic it doesnt take long to rise up to just under 100 at wheich point the fan kicks in and brings it down a notch or two before it rises up again.
    1997 Phase 2 Gsi - Bog Standard

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds just like mine.
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi