Thread: Cigarette multi adaptors and electricity supply

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cigarette multi adaptors and electricity supply

I currently have a tripple ciggy adapter (also with a tidy little unit with 3 rocker switches, each with an LED, to control the power to each of the individual sockets).

Now then, as I have lot of little bits of pieces in and around the car that require a 12v supply, I've been wiring them to ciggy adapter plugs, then plugging them into one of the 3 adapter holes (tucked away under the drivers seat). Now has come the time where I've got more stuff required to wire to a 12v supply. So..

1) What would be the maximum number of recommended additional cigarette lighter slots (including the possibility of plugging another tripple adaptor...into the current tripple adapter I'm currently using, which would only gain me another 2 slots).

2) Where abouts in and around the front of the car (dash area) could I/is an easy place to wire into a live wire to suck some power from? Or would it be best keep it all going through the cigarette plug power?

I hope I've explained my situation as best possible, it's a simple situation, but I'm not sure whats the best way to go about finding more/alternate sources of power!

Thank you.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The answer to both questions 1 and 2 depend on how much current the items draw. If it's only 500ma then you could have 30 accessories off the one ciggy lighter, if it's 5amp each then your already at the limit for that wire
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah right, well currently I think very little power is being drawn, as I currently have 2 cathode tubes at one, and 2 leds at each of the other two adapter sockets. Any idea on how much power they'll be taking? I'm guessing very little, especially as they're only ever on when I'm driving.

And wired another two LEDs into one of the sockets today, (4 LEDs powered from one socket point) and there was no change in the brightness of the bulbs.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why not just wire the LED's into your lighting circuit? or if they are LED strips direct to battery with a switch? There are plenty of switched live circuits that you could use instead of using a cig socket.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Why not just wire the LED's into your lighting circuit? or if they are LED strips direct to battery with a switch? There are plenty of switched live circuits that you could use instead of using a cig socket.
    I didn't wire them to the lighting circuit because I want them controlled from a separate switch to use when ever I want ideally.

Nope they're not LED strips, but even so, wire them to the battery!? I thought that wasn't advised. But I'll need to wire into a live wire where there is always power when the ignition is on/the keys are in the ignition, and the only place to easily access and wire into is the live wire in the headunit as far as I'm aware.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wire them straight to the battery and use an inline fuse to protect them. if you want them siwtched as well, wire a switch in too.....

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For any item that you use permanently, it makes more sense to wire them in properly, switched and fused.