Thread: second car options...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

second car options...

Okay, i feel like im faced with a dilemma...

i bought my 5 door astra as i thought it would be good for getting all my band stuff in the car, which it was okay... a little smaller than anticipated, anyways, my point is, im getting a boot instll in the car, and there will be next to no boot space left, and i cant get to the tyre well.

so now im considering a second car for my band stuff and work on my astra, to get it how i want.

im considering an astra van... beside the fact i dont know if my parents would let me keep another car on thier drive, i need to know some ball park figures i could expect to pay on a second car...

im thinking a 1.7dti astra van... there will be no modifications, but i have 0 ncb even on my main car, i only started driving this year, so i need some kind of idea what i would expect to pay on the van... what else would i need to take into consideration for costs of a second car?

tax, insurance, mot, yearly service... am i missing anything?

if i could get it fairly cheap for a second car i might consider it, although it seems like alot of bother...

at points like this i wish i had a company car or just didnt have my astra, and didnt want to mod it.

would it be cheaper to do this when i have 1 year ncb and im 21 (later this year - hopefully).

what are my options?

the reason im worried is i might be able to get all my gear in my astra, but i will have nowhere for a spare wheel, not even the back seats when i have my guitar stuff in the boot.

i will have tyre weld for shorter journeys, but longer ones i want to be able to chuck the spare on the back seats... which i wont be able to do with guitar stuff in, so this is why im thinking a second car as a van might be the way to go, but i dont want to have to pay stupid amounts for it.

argh... dilemmas all the time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had a thought,... why dont i just hire a van when it comes to gigging further afield... sheesh, im braindead

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The mk 4 2.0Di is a far better engine if you can find one. A hatch though would suffice I'd think so this could widen your choice - around a grand could get you something worthwhile, I have a 2.0Di with 145k on the clock and it's still going very strong.

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you will be paying full insurance again on another car pretty much. It will just be a case of buying it, and getting it on its own policy, no savings having a second car. If thats what you were wondering. Ive been considering the exact same thing but it's working out more money than i wanted to spend.

yea, hiring is a better option. Or if you buy a van specifically for your band, you could get the other band members to chip in on all of its costs, and paint your band logo on the side etc etc. 'the monolith van'!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p_man View Post
    you will be paying full insurance again on another car pretty much. It will just be a case of buying it, and getting it on its own policy, no savings having a second car. If thats what you were wondering. Ive been considering the exact same thing but it's working out more money than i wanted to spend.

yea, hiring is a better option. Or if you buy a van specifically for your band, you could get the other band members to chip in on all of its costs, and paint your band logo on the side etc etc. 'the monolith van'!
    I'm with Elephant and they gave me the same ncb on the second car as I have with the first (full) - you can't protect it though for the first year, and you loose the whole lot on the 2nd car if you have a claim within that 1st year - check with your insurance if I were you before you assume anything.

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    I'm with Elephant and they gave me the same ncb on the second car as I have with the first (full) - you can't protect it though for the first year, and you loose the whole lot on the 2nd car if you have a claim within that 1st year - check with your insurance if I were you before you assume anything.
    yep, i know, my insurance company do the same. apply my NCB to the second. but what i mean is, there is no other dicount given for a second car at all. I thought there would be (since you cant drive both at the same time). Besides, he has no NCB, so its full whack.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh, screw that then...

as for band van... i recently ended monolith and have just started a new band... if i were still in monolith, the drummer has a van that we could use, since we dont have him in the new band, we cant make use of the van, and everything seems to be going to pot, the reason i went for the install was because i could still get my stuff to the gig in the drummers van so all was well, now i cant get stuff in the van and cant get stuff in the car, and new members so wont want to be putting in van money just yet.

hiring seems the best option, but it seems you have to be over 25 for most van rentals

Status
    AkA P_Man
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh yea, there are age limits, and it depends how long you have had your licence.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2 months in 2 days... lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Running a second car seems like a bit of an unnecessary hassle and expense to me. Consider the following options:

1. Don't have a boot install and use the spare wheel well for what it's designed for.

2. Sell the 5 door and buy an astra van or estate. Then mod that instead.

3. Get the drummer with the van back

4. Give up your dreams of becoming a rock god and get a new hobby that doesn't involve the requirement of large amounts of boot space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast