Thread: vxr turbo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

vxr turbo

i have had a vxr for almost a year now, it is the first car i have had with a turbo, i have been told by someone recently that you should let the car idle for a few minutes before turning of the engine, is this true?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bollocks.

It only really applies to older cars and older types of oil. Newer, water cooled turbo's like ours, and fully/semi synthetic oils that we all now use stand very little chance of clogging up due to a hot turbo being tuned off. The theory is that if you turn off your car with a seriously hot turbo, the oil stops moving through it and the turbo can "cook" the oil and it will block up the turbo oil cooling feeds and wreck the oil in the car (and if your turbo isnt getting cooled properly..well then!)

basically, unless you have been absolutley thrashing it for the last few minutes, you wont need to idle for long at all, if anything, most of us take the precaution of driving a little more sedately for the last few minutes before reaching our destination, that would be plenty long enough for normal temperatures to return. I have a turbo timer on my car, but thats really only so i can go to track days, then pull off the track and hop out the car, leaving it to idle for a few mins. Thats not just for the turbo though, its gives everything a chance to cool down.

so basically, dont thrash it all the way up to your driveway and you will be fine.
    324hp @20psi
    13.9@103mph 1/4 mile must practice more!
    www.opelaus.com <- australian opel site