Thread: car insurance advise.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

car insurance advise.

i have fully comp car insurance policy, 7 years ncb,34 years old. will i be able to drive/borrow a mates transit van on a weekend to take motorbikes to a trials track?

the van is taxed and tested, but has no insurance as he has switched it to his pick up.

when i rang my insurance company (in India ) i dont even no if i own a car after the conversation i had .

my mate reckons im ok as i have a fully comp policy,i thought the vehicle had to be insured as well?

cheers anth

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    depends on your policy as to whether your insured on other cars or not. I was asked if i wanted to have this option on mine but turned it down as it cost extra and I haven't needed to drive anyone else's car before.

What company are you with, try ringing again and see if you get put through to someone else, you may get lucky and speak to someone in England.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    chances are that you can, but 3rd party only.

have a read of the policy, it should tell you the conditions of your insurance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No you wont be able to drive it on your insurance, you cover would only cover anyother motor car not belongingto or under a hire and leasing agreement. Thus not covering a van (commercial vehicle).

Even if it was a car soon as you step out of the car its uninsured and ilegal if keep on public property

Try these for temp cover on it http://tempcover.com/
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i alwasy thought if your fully comp and drive another car/van you are only covered 3rd party. but if the van has no insurance in the first place then thats a different story i think. you should confer with your insurance company in the morning.
    SIGNATURE EDITED : Only paid members can advertise goods.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dappa View Post
    i alwasy thought if your fully comp and drive another car/van you are only covered 3rd party.
    Very common mistake. Having fully comp insurance has nothing to do with having a driving other cars extention. I only insure my car TPFT and can drive any car with the owners permission on a third party basis.

Whether or not you have the extention depends on your age and occupation mainly. Lots of people think they have this automatically - if it doesn't say so on your insurance certificate then you don't.

The second mistake is when people say - "I'm covered on any car" Wrong - the insurance is 3rd party only so will merely cover any damage you do with the car, not the car itself.

Yes the Van would need to have an insurance policy covering it otherwise it's not road legal.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im with esure, my policy says im insured to drive other cars, but nothing on vans??
    doesnt say i cant, and vans are not only insured for commercial puposes these days. you can get sdp on a van now!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Very common mistake. Having fully comp insurance has nothing to do with having a driving other cars extention. I only insure my car TPFT and can drive any car with the owners permission on a third party basis.

Whether or not you have the extention depends on your age and occupation mainly. Lots of people think they have this automatically - if it doesn't say so on your insurance certificate then you don't.

The second mistake is when people say - "I'm covered on any car" Wrong - the insurance is 3rd party only so will merely cover any damage you do with the car, not the car itself.

Yes the Van would need to have an insurance policy covering it otherwise it's not road legal.
    dont think thats right sten, i was watching "car wars" or some show like that. a lad got pulled , had no insurance, car was impounded. copper said" all that will happen is that he will get someone with a fully comp policy to come and collect it"

loophole we cant do anything about!

i thought nice advertising for all the people that dont have insurance!

unless that problem has been solved todate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    common mistake saying the car must be insured in the first place, aslong as the person with the Third party extension is driving the vehicle then it is legal, as soon as they leave it its illegal unless parked on private property.

Also not many TPFT policies have this extension on. And alot of insurance companies are withdrawing this extension as it is being abused.

Just run a quote through on that tempcover site mate the only way to insure it.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i will ring esure and see if i can get anywhere with it, will probably use van every weekend as long as he has it, so might just get a tpft on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast