Thread: Head-units??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Head-units??

Lookin to buy a new head unit, got around £300 to spend.

I want 1 that looks fancy but i would rather hav quality. i like the look of the alpine 1s. Any suggestions??

And wot r the dvd players with the motorised screen like?? they seem a little cheap and too gd to b true. ne1 got 1, wot they like??

1st post so be gentle

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    For £300 the DVD headunits are a little cheap and nasty, if your going to get one spend a little more from one of the major manufactures

The Aplines definatly are a good headunit and you couldn't go wrong with one. I'm personally a Pioneer man and think they look better IMO

Also welcome to the site, hope you find it very usefull
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers!!

apart from u thinkin they look better is there any other reason why you prefer pioneer??

the dvd units ive been looking at are brand named (alpine, pioneer, clarion) and are priced between £500 and £800. but ive seen them on ebay for around £400 from wot seem respectable sellers. any thing i should know about these? anything i should look for??

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Only other reason for choosing Pioneer is that i've had no other make of headunit so stick with what I know

The cheaper headunits on ebay maybe US spec headunits so that the radio will only go up in odd numbers limiting what you can listen to
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i neva listen to the radio anyways.

are they jus as easy to fit as normal headunits or is there more to it?? is it jus pretty much a straight plug in??

if so would u mind takin a look and give me your thoughts if i post some links??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What sort of install are you going for? Alpine make awesome head units

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If it's a UK spec headunit then it will pretty much be plug and play as a normal headunit but with 1 extra wire that needs to go to the handbrake so you can only view a DVD while stationary. The wire just needs to see a earth

Feel free to post some links up and myself and others can give opnions on them

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    eh i just want a gd sounding 1 basically with a little braggin rights haha.

ive got a set of infinity components which i cant get in cos i cant get the window winders off . i should hopefully get that sorted tha mora with a bit of luck.

next step is to get a new head unit. the 1 ive got is jus basic from argos, i want something more flash and powerful, but still doesnt look too out of place. am kinda lookin at the dvd units the now but cos they are expensive jus gives me alot of doubts. i feel theres somethin ill b missin or by a crappy 1.

ill be gettin a sub or subs soon but feel the h/u is a better choice the now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bought the cheapest 2 din setup on ebay - motorised screen and dvd/cd player. including tv aerial and 2 remote controls. £150 inc. postage from HK.

The sound has been very satisfactory for my needs and for the upgraded speakers in the back (4x45W from the headunit).

The screen is wicked and no problems so far.

Bad bits:
    1) Tv reception varies a lot - usually quite poor.
    2) Build quality of cd/dvd headunit isn't great - but you get what you pay for.
    3) The headunit buttons and the screen unit buttons are lit blue and are bloody bright at night - bad thing for some, a good thing for others.
    4) When playing a DVD of music - the appearance of the listings of songs on the screen appears quite dated and old fashioned, but does the job.
    5) And finally, last week the headunit stopped playing disks so it's been sent back

But from this experience:

1) Always get a guarentee of at least 6-12 months as a lot of sellers on ebay offer a 7-21 day guarentee. Not for me.

2) Try and buy in the UK - some one is selling near enough the same as I bought, in the UK, for not a great deal more and I think with a year guarentee - worth it just to save hassle of sending it half way around the world for replacement. (Cost me £17 postage to return it).

3) You get what you pay for! ultimately I bought it for a bit of fun and wanted a screen with all my songs on infront of me as I got tired of p*ssing about with an ipod flying around the passenger seat/gaitor/floor while connected with an unsightly wire going to the headunit.

4) If you want a really good setup, spend the money, get the guarentees, have all the extras and be happy.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
    I got tired of p*ssing about with an ipod flying around the passenger seat/gaitor/floor while connected with an unsightly wire going to the headunit.
    LOL I know exactly what you mean there.

As for the headunit, try keep to well known brand names and units which have good reviews.
    Maybe pop into the local car audio shop and see what they offer? Most usually do a demo of the equipment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast