Thread: Alpine MRD-500 settings

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Alpine MRD-500 settings

Just installed above amp powering a Type R sub. Does anyone know of a good way to set up this amp for general use. At the moment it only seems to be working on low frequencies so when listening to stuff like kaiser chiefs the sub is barely working.

Sounds good on dance music, but it mainly just plays the background bass line not the beat of the song, so its more of a constant rumbling.

The amp has quite a few settings which can be altered so just wondering if any one has some tips on what settings to try changing.

Also what size speaker cable should i be using from the amp to sub? I'm thinking of using 4awg but is this over kill? At the moment it only has normal speaker cable, 16awg?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i usualy set the sub on low pass filter and at 80 hz and your comps if you have them to high pass filter at 100hz
    ive got 8 awg cable but thats just because i had some so go for about 8awg better safe than sorry

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cheers didn't see an option for high/low filters will look again tomorrow though. Frequency's only seemed to range from 30-50hz but i only had a very quick play with it, so will check that again tomorrow. Thanks

I have comps but they are not currently amplified, something i will be doing in the next couple of days now i have a spare 2 channel amp.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There should be a crossover setting on that amp under the metal panel - you can turn the dial between 30 Hz - 200 Hz if you have this set low (i.e 30hz) it will only play very deep tones. You should set it about 100hz if you have decent components.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Had a play today, there are 3 frequency's which can be changed.

Subsonic only goes from 15-50hz and 2 others which go to around 200hz. Changed the 2 to 100hz and now the sub is very quiet. Any one have any idea's would it be better to lower the 2 set at 100hz?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could you take a picture of the setting controls im all confused now if its a mono it shouldnt have two filters on it

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Found a list of the settings if its any use

Sub-sonic Filter: The sub-sonic filter is used to filter out low frequencies that you cannot hear but can "rob" power from the amplifier. The crossover point is variable between 15Hz and 50Hz in 5Hz steps.

Built-in Variable Electronic Crossover: The built-in low-pass crossover is adjustable from 30 to 200Hz in 1/12 octave steps with a slope of 24dB/octave.

Parametric Equalizer: A fully adjustable parametric EQ is built into this amp. The center frequency is adjustable from 30 to 160Hz in 1/12 octave steps. The Q value of the EQ curve is selectable between 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The EQ level is adjustable from -12dB to +12dB in 1dB steps.

Bass Compensation: The Bass Compensation circuit is used to enhance low-end bass definition.

Time Correction: Time correction allows you to time align this amp with others in the system. This is particularly useful to maximize SPL if there are multiple subs and sub amps. The adjustment range runs from 0-10ms in 0.1ms steps.

Phase: The phase is selectable between 0 and 180 degrees.

The 3 in bold are the ones i have been adjusting the frequency's on.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whoo i havnt a clue in all honesty all i know is the low pass should be set to about 80 and id try the subsonic about 30 hz but othe than that mate i havnt a clue hopfully somone else can help

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers, at the moment it is set to 30, 100, 100

changing the 3rd one from -12db to +12db also made little difference

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, the third one is basically a bass boost - you can boost the signal by -12 -+12db the higher this is the louder the sub will be. If you want the loudest setting, put it up to the max (+12DB). Assuming the sub is the SWR-1242d (12 inch Type R) you should set the first one (subsonic filter) to 25hz.

Then just play with the Crossover one to find out how you want the sub to sound. The higher the value, the more mid-bass notes the sub will play, it all depends on your musical preferences.

What head unit are you using? There will be more bass boosting effects available on the head unit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast