Thread: Rear bleed nipple

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear bleed nipple

I changed the two front copper brake lines over the weekend which went fine. When bleeding the system the nipple on the rear drum sheared off, it didnt turn so is not leaking any fluid. I just did the two fronts and the brakes feel ok. My question is, is it ok to drive the car with the nipple broken off ? as i said its not leaking fluid. Also what will need to be changed to fix it? i guess that the nipple and the union hold the piston onto the drum so will it be secure enough with only the union in it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is there any nipple left to get a hold of? if so spray it with WD40 or alike and leave it for a whilst.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nope the nipple broke under the nut leaving the end in there it could be tapped out i guess but as it did not turn is it ok to leave, I have the MOT next week aswell so would this be a failure

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The bleed nipple ONLY bleeds the system of air, it does no other function, it doesn't hold anything to the drum or the hub. If the system feels fine then you should be ok to leave it until you can spare the time to try and remove it but in my experience you'd be better off buying a new wheel cylinder, this should just unbolt from the backplate once you've removed both the copper line and the brake shoes, easy enough job I'd say.

Not having any experience of the Astras with drums this is only a guess as to how it's configured but I have a LOT of experience with rear drums and they are essentially the same type of design. The bleed nipple comment though is correct and the same on all cars.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the reply, i will leave it until i get the chance to fit a new cylinder.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you buy a new cylinder Rob I'd suggest using some copperslip grease on both the brake line fitting and the bleednipple before you assmeble them, that way they should come out easily next time you want to remove them. Little prevention goes a long way for those type of fittings which are constantly exposed to the elements. Do the other side as well if you can, in fact just change the brake fluid and do all the nipples, provided they come out easily, don't force them. Consider changing the flexi brake lines for some braided ones at the same time if you can afford the £60 or so they cost, you'll notice the difference in pedal feel after.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Oddjob, Yeah I used copperslip when I replaced the front lines, I always do on nearly everything I take apart. How much do you think two new cylinders will cost, there is no point in doing the one because the other side is seized as well and I am sure that would have sheared if I had tried any more.

As said do you think it will be an MOT failure for having the nipple broken?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MOT failure? very doubtful. it's not a safety issue, although it is part of the braking system it isn't needed unless you have air in the system, I doubt the tester will even notice it, he'll be looking for leaks, corrosion on the pipes, split flexis that sort of thing. So long as the brakes perform as they should it should pass on them.

Cost? don't know. anything from £8 to £25 knowing Vx. A pattern part would be cheaper, from Halfords or somewhere similar.