Thread: Which order to do these mods?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which order to do these mods?

I have a Mk4 Sri with the old cable throttle X20XEV engine in it and it just doesnt feel as lively as my old calibra which had the same lump. I rang regal who suggested i upgrade plugs and leads before anything else but is this true or just a sales technique? I already have a derestricted airbox with vec C intake and as its winter am using a paper filter at the moment, but my plans in this order were...peco stainless catback system, regal ECU Re-map and then look at the possibility of a manifold and sports cat.

How can i get that same 'eagerness' my old calibra had with only its old SS system on it?
    X20XEV Gsi Now sold but now have a Corsa GSi C20XE

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm... try cleaning out the Throttle body, replacing the plugs and leads, do an oil change (and engine flush at the same time) and change the fuel filter. Clean the EGR valve also. how long has it been since the cam belt has been done? If it is getting close to the time then get it done and replace the water pump whilst your at it. When i had mine done it was like the car had been given a new lease of life!

Also, I would leave the map till last so that you get maximum gains from it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It had a cambelt about 4k ago just before i bought it and in theory should have had a full service to go with it...however?!

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    kool, ok, check the plugs again, if they are the vaux 4 pronged ones they should be already gapped correctly and should be ok.

How many miles has it done?

Like I said, try cleaneing the TB and EGR. an oil change about now wouldn't hurt. also, disconnect the battery and leave it over night. once reconnected the ECU will re-learn everything so to speak.

Check the manifold/exhaust for blows as this will reduce back pressure and performance.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Shes just ticked over 120k and I had to weld a crack in the manifold and replace the gasket and replace the O/S hub before getting the codes cleared off from the abs and tc. Does the ecu reset to nothing again or does it retain its log? If its any clue i think its pretty crap on fuel for a 2.0 but no lights are on or anything

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the ECU doesn't lose its map or anything crazy like that, I suppose you could say its as if the ECU is reading a book - It knows HOW to read a book, it's just as if it's not ever read the book before so all the characters are new! ( I know - strange comparison! :-D )

I have also fitted a Ecotek CB26 valve to mine and found it improved fuel eco and got rid of a flat spot.

Let me know what the difference is once you have done all above - the good thing is that most of the above is free/cheap to do!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah think today ill get myself down halfrauds and at least do an oil/filter change and engine flush and check the plugs ill let you know