Thread: A/C fan belt ahhh

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A/C fan belt ahhh

Hi guys just a little story of what happind and some advie wud be nice.
    Just come out the local car shopping car park and got to third gear doin about 30 and the engine cut out So i pulled over and turned the key off then on again startedup fine so carried on and about 20 foot down the road made a very weird noise and cut out agen. so i did the same turned the key to off then started it again and drove on. now at this point i was getting concerned and thinking am i stupid for carrying on, i was thinking it was something to do with the sparks/idle/genral ticking over of the engine. . so i kept it in 2nd gear keeping revs up 2 about 3500 400 am guessing(dont actually have a reve metre lol) but i was doing around 30 mph. made ity to the top off my girlfriends road and made a really loud crunch grindy wearing noise and cut out, so i ounced up on the curb and as i did noticed smoke. so i turned everything off and opened the bonet to look. the fan belty qwas smoking were which i now know to b the A/c motor thing is. now i was quite worried at this point as i didnt know what it was so i rang the aa who came out in 15 mins. all he did was unplug it and its fine works perfectly.
    What i want to know is, as the car is will it be ok or should i get it repaired. . i have neva used the a/c as since i bought the car it needed re-gasing and have never really had the urge to get it done?

There was symptoms of this a month or so ago ( slight squeak cuming from the fanbelt area) which i did get checked only to be told it is too quiet to be acurately identified but now we know definately what it was haha

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If this problem was solely caused by the AC pump and now works perfectly with the AC disconnected then I say leave it alone.
    You could always remove the pump completely or just fit a belt from a non AC model (1230mm) so as not to have the pump driven even tho disconnected.

If u are 100% sure the problems were defo down to the AC pump and u never use it then leave it alone.

May wish to check the belt for damage just incase.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    got it checked and it is the Ac pump. needs a new 1. any1 know how much these fings are.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £25-40 from a breakers.

Then £40 + to gas it up.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate. even though i have never used it i probably would like to at some point, as in the summer and can imagine myself cursing that i never. might buy the part and when i get time and spare cash get it done. its worth having i supose better than WINDING down the windows