Thread: Anyone scuba dive?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone scuba dive?

Thinking about taking a padi course, anyone done/doing, did did?

Thoughts welcome

Andy
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i havent done any courses, but ive scuba dived on the great barrier reef, and its amazing!!!

i took to scuba like a duck to water... i dont get how people can not breathe in the suits.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am a BSAC national assistant instructor, I have dived in the Red Sea, Great Barrier reef, Miami cost line, Kaypenray, Channle sea, etc
    PADI is a club that is based around profit margins and all of its courses are short but dont teach you everything and just the basic stuff for example they wont teach you how to rescue another diver with just the one breathing apparatus, thats an extra course that you have to take and this pattern follows thorough there entire club

BSAC even thought they are more expensive, are more thouro with the teaching and make sure you know everthing. there course are taken in larger chunks. this might sound tedious and boring but there are too many "Divers" out there that have done the basic PADI course and think that they know everything

As most things in life you get what you pay for and belive me you dont want to be skimping out on sothing that could kill you if it all goes wrong
    OME KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    been diving once a few years ago in florida iirc and loved it, not allowed to do it for another few years now due to having dodgy lungs and have to be careful with pressure...
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Scuba Diving is fun and opens up a whole new world, but like skydiving you would not jump out of a plane not really knowing what you where doing Right?????

Sorry if this is abit PADI basing but 2 years ago I was in Estartit in the south of spain and a diver was pulled up dead from the water (not to scare you there are only on avarage 10 deaths a year form diving) turns out he was just a normal tuorist on a 1 day extensive training course with PADI and paniked 15 meters down and shot to the surface this made the nitorgen in his blood stream to expand too quickly killing him This is called getting the BENDS, this was due to the PADI instructor going quickly in teaching the theory of Scuba Diving.

Am not saying all PADI instructors are that idiotic but when you are on holiday be careful on who is teaching you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so you recomend doing a BSAC qualification? q22ube?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the company i would go with are triton in portsmouth, good reviews etc i know about the bends, scary stuff, but you only live once, and i live in water etc so seems like the next step

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not saying dont do it, I have been doing it since I was 14 and now assist on the instructing new people and its always safty first. the nearist way of getting to feel what space is like

Triton I have heard are also quite good.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Q22ube, thats a nice list of places!

I really want to go to the Red Sea.
    Ive dived off mexico a lot. The Yucatan Peninsula is amazing. They have one of the largest bunches of reefs in the world, and amazing under water caves that are just amazing! Crystal clear fresh water! Absolutely stunning!

This is what they are like underwater.

I really should dig my photos out!

Norm, I would defiantly recommend doing it, theres nothing as weird as taking your first breath under water!
    I did my PADI Open waters and enjoyed it so much I did my advanced. I as going to go further but at the moment I see no need.
    But defiantly give it a go, but it’s not for everyone!

Indeed, i have also heard horrific stories of PADI, especially in Egypt.
    If your going to do your course do it in this country, then when you do your qualifing dive in some rank freezing gravel pit you will appreciate abroads waters!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dw i take to water like a duck snorkeled off florida and swam down to the statue of christ but wanted to be down there with the sharks tbh

@triton it takes two weekends to do it, 2nd weekend is in a slatwater lake the navy divers use, sounds bloody horrible, but i really want to see the U boats off portsmouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast