Thread: Ticking

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ticking

Started the engine this morning to notice a loud ticking sound now i checked the oil which was ok but i topped it up anyway. went to work in it then to th girlfriends and its still doing it so... took it to the garage at like 20 past 5 and they said could b 1 of a few things bring it bak tomoro lunch time.

Now my dad reckons its the tappets and that is what i thought but i dont know. . .the garge couldn't put their finger on it by just listening to it either they said they would have to test it.

Anyone any ideas and if it is the tappets how much are these and are they easy enough for the garage to fit

By the way its a 1998 1.6 8valve

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where is the noise coming from? it could be one of several things and you really need to be more specific to get a decent answer

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry it is coming from the head of the engine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    few month back I ran out of oil and cars Engine Manigment light came on, anyway long stry short it went to the garage they said that they changed the tappets and checked the cams as well (which were ok)
    BUT I still have the ticking noise like you when the enigne is started especialy from cold

now am not saying its not the tappets (garage could have F**ked me over) but just make sure you go over everthing else.
    If you ever find out then please PM or email me cos i would love to know what the hell it is
    OME KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if the oil was ok why did you top it up?
    She's a nice un

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i say ok it was inbeteew half and min so i thought could do with a top up..

Q22ube i will do. 2bh mine wen cold sometimes used to make the noise like urs but only for a second or two. and i will let you know anything i find out

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    My 1.6 16v makes that noise for a few seconds on startup but thats it. I put it down the oil draining off the cams overnight. It'll be more prevailent on cold mornings as the oil will be more dense and less willing to move or lubricate. I just make sure I warm the car up before I head off to work to make sure the exhaust manifold heats up of its own accord and the engine gets a good dousing of oil. Also I have a ticking noise coming from the rear of the engine by the airbox - this is the carbon canister solendoid. Didn't notice it until I had a cambelt change but now I know its always like that even the brand new H's do it and my car sounds like a diesel.
    I did a complete service at the weekend (oil 5w/30, oil filter, air filter, plugs, fuel filter ect) and it still does it. But 5W/30 is better at lower temps and should offer quicker protection for the engine and is better than 10w40 at colder temps.

Good luck I hope you find out whats causing it!
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes that was what i thought it was at first this morning (what jam said) but it continued all day haha.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Also I have a ticking noise coming from the rear of the engine by the airbox - this is the carbon canister solendoid. Didn't notice it until I had a cambelt changed"

When mine whent to the garage they said that they also changed my camblet - what is the "carbon canister solendoid" and what can you do about it to get it sorted
    OME KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    now then. last night went out. . . started up the car and the ticking had gone used it last night and this morning and its fine i think though sometimes i can hear a faint ticking but only so often. still going the garage in an hour to get hooked up to the computer or whatever they are goint to do and get it checked never the less. hopefully it will be nothing major

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast