Thread: sub help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sub help

i am planning on sinking my sub into my spare wheel and building a box around it but it is recommended to have a space of about 2 - 3 cubic feet in the box but i dont have room for this muhc. will this cause a problem? thanks
    2006 Astra 1.6 16V Twintop Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depends on the sub you will be using. Does it work in a smaller enclosure at all? what does the manual say? what sub are we talking about as that enclosure size is quite large for a sub? But if the manual does not recommend smaller enclosures then I would not recommend it as the sub really does need to be in an ideal enclosure to sound its best and work at its optimum level without degrading performance or sub life.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well its a 12 inch pyle blue wave 1200 watt sub. i found thoses sizes on the interent. i did think they seemed a bit big. i can only find the manual on the net but it doesnt say much
    http://www.pyleaudio.com/manuals/PL1...0BL-1590BL.pdf

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    I sank a 12" Excursion sub into the spare wheel well of my old Peugeot 206. After working out the required encliosure capacity I found that I needed to build up the depth 120mm using 18mm MDF and it worked fine. I haven't measured but I would assume the astra spare wheel well is approx the same size as the 206 (both had 15" spare wheels so I guess they'd be similar) so if you wanna build it out of the wheel well then I'd allow a bit extra, maybe build it up 150mm and you'd be fine.

IMO 3 cu ft. is huge for a 12" sub, mine was rated at 1200w RMS (2400w peak) and that was fine in the size enclosure I had.

Hope this helps a bit.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so you mean build it up 150mm above the wheel? or 150mm bigger then the the sub?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think he means 150mm above the wheel. Then you can use the space around it to put amps etc and put a false floor in which sits 150mm above the boot floor.