Thread: Snooooooooowboarding

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Snooooooooowboarding

So I've decided to try snowboarding, something I've been looking at for ages. But before going off to Aspen like Reggie Yates did in Holiday, I'm off to the Leeds Snowdome for a three hour lesson next Monday.

Anyone on here familiar with the noble art? Bearing in mind I am a complete newbie at this, does anyone have any suggestions, comments or tips?

I've already bought some trousers and socks - I figured I'd rent the rest until I know whether or not I'm going to be the next SSX star or not. Other than that I know that newbies fall over a lot, try to fall over correctly and listen to the instructor. Everything else welcome!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mate iv done a bit in the art of snowboarding. it a lot of fun but it does take some getting the hang of. i remember in my first lesson i didn't stop smilling even when silding down on my head ! never been to leeds snowdome,is that a dry slope? i would recommend escape in castleford tho.
    when u get the hang of it go on a boarding holiday you'l never look back
    just listen to the instructor mate that all i would say!
    Astravan sportive

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GSI-shaun View Post
    i would recommend escape in castleford tho.
    Sorry, that's the one I mean - bloody yorkshire it's all the same to this lancastrian

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i tried skiing on an indoor slope whilst on holiday in spain...was great fun!! but i think with boarding its harder to keep balance

tip : make sure you wear gloves!!! omg i was being tight and didn't buy any gloves and bloody hell when i fell it felt like my hands were gunna fall off!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I started learning last march, damn fun and easer the skiing
    Only tip i konw of is to never use you own kit on a dry slope.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did the board in a Day course (8 hours) at Milton Keynes snow dome.

Then I did a 2 hour class later on.

Still no good at it.

Did the Ski in a day course, and had it cracked by lunch, found it so much more natural.

Needless to say, been skiing 3 seasons now and not been boarding again!
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jalu View Post
    Sorry, that's the one I mean - bloody yorkshire it's all the same to this lancastrian
    arr. haha! i see i thought iv never heard of that place. and yes wear gloves keep them pinky's warm
    Astravan sportive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i do laot ov boarding snowboarded for the army in 2005 have done it sinci i was 10 got 2 lessons to learn basics then i self tort myself by watching others took me 6 months to get at the stage where i was going off 6 foot jumps and so on love it even work in a ski lodge was amazin. heel and toe edge are the start once u got that you will be fine carving has an art to it but get a board that suits your style and size mate....
    Astra Coupe SE2 - lowered , de-restricted and soon to be mapped NEW WHEELS ***autobiography below***
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=334120

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the dude above I did the BoardInADay Package, and could kinda snowboard...Just...

Went to Canada start of the year and hated it!

Out my skiis back on and I was doing Kickers, Grinds and Black Runs!

My advise would be yeah do the lessons, but don't go all the way to aspen and find yourself pissed off for a week cos you cant snowboard...hense when I started getting pissed off cos I kept on falling over I changed to Skis...

Well thats my 2p's worth anyways!

Goodluck!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Add cornholio on Facebook
    I'm learning to snowboard right now at Silksworth.

ITS BUTE!!!

Going to France in March. I've pretty much mastered going down the slope on either my toe or heal edge and going from side to side. Just cant link turn yet.

So basically Jalu, its all in your ankles and legs to start of with, dont waive your arms and upper body about as that will no doubt make you fall over. Just like the others have said, listen to what the instructor tells you and you'll be fine.

Stick with it, dont go to skiis dude. Bend your knees, watch the trees. Pizza slice, french fries. None of that, if you have skateboarded before you'll enjoy snowboarding.
    Astra MkIV 1.6 8v (Z16SE) 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast