AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Free Wireless Router?

You can get a free La Fonera WiFi router here:

http://www.fon.com/1yearold/

They're celebrating their first birthday and giving away 10,000 routers. I'm unsure how good they are, but they're retailing for €29.95.

You have to signup, doesn't take long.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Looks like they want you to use their router to create hotspots. Therefore your wireless network will be unsecure allowing anyone to use your wireless connection and your BB connection for free.

no thanks good find though.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yer i've read about these a while back, also does your isp allow you to use ur connection as a public hotspot?
    I did hear of a firmware update to convert them to a router with normal operation tho, mind u im not sure ur supposed to

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's some information I found about them whilst conducting my research:

La Fonera is our own WiFi router.

A WiFi router is a product that plugs in to your broadband Internet connection, and turns it into a WiFi Access Point. That means you can connect your laptop or handheld games console to the Internet without any wires, so you can move around your house freely. More and more devices are becoming WiFi enabled! La Fonera supports the 802.11b and 802.11g standards for speeds of up to 54 Mbps.

La Fonera is a special kind of WiFi router. We call it a Social Router. That’s because when you activate your La Fonera, you become part of the FON Community. Members of the FON Community share their WiFi at home, and in return get free WiFi wherever they find a FON Access Point.

La Fonera is also a Social Router because you can personalize the page that other Foneros see when they log on to your FON Access Point. So you can tell people a bit about yourself or your local area, or just say ‘hi’ to your fellow Foneros.

Safety & Security:

La Fonera offers you two wireless network signals (SSIDs), a private and a public one. The private signal is encrypted and offers you complete privacy.

The public signal will be accessible to Foneros only. This signal is the one that turns your broadband connection into a FON Access Point.
    Furthermore, all Foneros connecting to the public WiFi signal within the FON Community are registered users. They need to identify themselves by a username and password.

Running an Access Point with La Fonera is not only secure but also easy to control. You can choose the amount of bandwidth you want to share.
    Personally, I'm not going to use it because I have a decent router already but since it's retailing at €29.95 you can sell it, use the money for fuel etc.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Interesting I've never heard of this before. I was quick to judge. I'll have to have a look into this some more.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    who is wireless router and why does he/she need to be free?

is he in exhile or locked up in prison?
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good idea, but would need a hell of a lot of people to take up the offer for it to become worthwhile. If BT did this, they would make a fortune!!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!