Thread: Bits that need looking at on my cars...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bits that need looking at on my cars...

Right I have got two astras with different issues that need looking at.

Both have got the knocking/squeaking when going over speedbumps coming from the front suspension. I am assuming this is the drop links, which I have purchased and will be fitting soon!

One car has had new pads and disks in the last 3 months from quik fit. Problem is that the brakes make a horrible screaching noise from the front drivers side when braking which has been getting progressively worse (it was doing it slightly after fitting, but noise has increased 10 fold!). Is there any suggestions as to what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Finally suspension needs doing on the same car as above, should a full spring and shock set be purchased or can just springs be done? Any recommendation on a decent price/spec kit (lowering would be nice too!)

Second car is a 3 door SRI which has the dreaded seat folding issue - is it simple to take seat apart and have a look and reassemable without messing the seat up, or is it best to take to vaux?

Would also like to lower the SRI, can i just swap the springs, and if so how long would shocks last (car is 3 years old) or should i get a whole kit for this too?

Cheers guys!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    1. Take car back to Kwikfit and tell them they can't spell quick and the brakes are shat. They should be covered under their warranty and tell them that its unnacceptable. How long have you had the brakes on now?

2. Yes you can just change the springs but it really depends what you want from the car. For looks you can purchase the Eibach sport line kit from LMF either 30/30 or 50/30 drop. If your after performance then get the pro kit which comes with dampeners 30/30 only.

3. Have a search through the site as the dreaded seat issue has been covered many times before. Have you checked the how 2's there might be one in there.

Hope that helps and you get your issues sorted
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had the pads and brakes on for 3 months in total. I'll take the car back and rollock them.

How long would the shocks last and would it be better to get the kit for comfort?

Cheers for the quick reply Jam

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    3 months they may just blame it on brake dust and tell you to go elsewhere.

I've got the 50/30 kit on my car and its a bit springy for my liking. Personally I think next time I'll get the pro kit 30/30 with dampeners. That would suit my application much better I think and stop it from being so bouncy as you go over pot holes ect.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you fit the springs yourself or take to a garage to do? I'm tempted to have a go...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I'm very fortunate to have a mate who owns a garage. He fitted them for me for £30 whilst I fixed his computers. However failing that I was prepared to do it myself. You will need a spring compressor. Also afterwares you will require your tracking re-done as well as you've just changed the geometry of the car. Another reason I took it to my mates garage.

But it looks easy enough to do so go for it!!! Theres plenty of people on here to help you out of you get stuck. Also for reference springs do have a right way and a wrong way up.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Springs are fairly easy to change, get your self a Haynes manual and borrow some spring compressors. Oh and you will need an 18 mm ring spanner with an elbow to undo the top nut on the front legs.
    Astra H SRi 1.9 CDTI
    WG Motorworks stage 1.5 Remap, VXR suspension, Whiteline RARB, Courtenay brake hoses, VXR brakes,
    OP COM East Anglia Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds good - guess i may be getting 2 sets of springs then

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as for brakes, get back to kwik fit asap as they are more important than the engine in your car... (safety)

as for springs why not buy one set of lowerings spring, fit them to the sri, then put the sri (20 mm loweredvas standard) springs onto your other car.. maybe saves you some money that way...?
    ASTRA COUPE 2.2 16V, FULL CAT BACK EXHAUST AND DBLIAS FLOWMASTER KIT!