Thread: Concerns over AstraSport and Astra owners club

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Concerns over AstraSport and Astra owners club

We thought it would be nice to have a thread just trying to answer any questions you may have regarding the start of Astra Owners Club, and how it will effect, be integrated, change etc etc AstraSport.

We are going to work very hard to make sure nothing changes at all on here, but we am sure people will have reservations, concerns or questions about it.

Please use this thread to 'vent' and we will try our best to answer you and put your minds at ease!

Paid membership is not for all and we are very aware of it, thats why we want AstraSport to continue to grow

Cheers for reading

Mat and John
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My personal opinion is that the changes are driven by the desire to become a club that is recognised by the VBOC, and other organisations, rather than only as a forum community.

Asking people for money is difficult and most will ask "what's in it for me", but leaving people the option of accessing a FULL forum for free, but not the benefit of attending shows or getting discounts and news letters is fair enough.

Set up the club so you need to pay to get any benefits out of the forum will only drive people to other forums and no one will win.

The matter of paying to run the forum could be covered by corporate sponsor links on each section, other forums have done this.

If the forum becomes closed or partially closed it will die - just look at the example named after the engine in a Coupe turbo!

It would be nice to see new names becoming involved in the club and forum, seeing the same names begins to make other's feel left out of the "click".

What ever way Astra-Sport goes it will not demish my enjoyment of my car and hobby, I hope it remains as it has been for the first 2 1/2 years of my Astra ownership.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have enjoyed all of my 2 years so far with astra sport and hope to carry on doing so. I think all of the new plans seem great, and as I have no quams with the current offerings, it all just seems even better

whether you pay or not, I think genuine lovers of this forum and the people will still stay, if people are driven away by paying, that just suggests to me there dedication wasnt there in the first place!

My only concern is that there seems to be a constant focus on advetising astra sport. As great as this is in theory for publicity etc. I just hope it doesn't escalate too much into an impersonal commercial forum (maybe thats a bit deep)

But im just trying to emphasise theres just too many forums out there with so many sections/ peoples flashy avatars and so many posts a day you just dont know where to look because the network is so massive. I just hope astra sport doesnt loose its persoanlity and trip over itself in the process.
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i want to be a full member but i am waiting for the paypal to work cause i have lost my cheque book site to me in the short time i have been here is really nice and for the first time i havent experienced any idiots that there only enjoyment is to slag peoples cars off!

i agree with all the membership fees for the extra benefits etc i hate it when a site excludes you from everything but the newbie bit or something

a1 jobs by everyone mods etc

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As its been stated, Astra-sport will always be what it has been. free to all to use, That wont change, it will always be here for people to use.

Astra owners club is giving members who wanted the benifits of being a member of a club giving them the benifits of, trade discounts, Newsletters ect yet still have the comunity feel that astra sport has always had.

Astra sport has grown and grown and grown over the years its been here (and will continue too) and the team involved with the set up of astra owners club has never lost sight of what made it grow in the first place and why we are still here today.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will hold judgment as i don't have an astra just the bus nowadays and have no wish to buy another Vx astra, i think Mat and the team will not keep everybody
    happy but that will always have been the case no matter what they did.

What people should keep focused on is that Matt Pays For It Himself so pehaps a little monetary help wouldn't go a miss,
    he works in the floor laying business not the oil industry.

Alot of clubs give discounts the TTOC for instance produce a very good quality magazine and discounts at some tuners so give it time and i am sure it will be a success
    just like this forum has become. It will just take time and people to assit and make it the club it deserves to be
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sorry for the crude way of doing this mate but it was the easiest way for me to reply

Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS View Post
    My personal opinion is that the changes are driven by the desire to become a club that is recognised by the VBOC, and other organisations, rather than only as a forum community.
    The changes are driven for 3 reasons. There are as follows:

1. Its the next logical step for the community, especially its growing so much. We have a lot of calls for from members asking for us to be a club.

2. To make the community stronger and more widely recognised for its friendly and mature nature, means we have to be more involved within the Vauxhall Community. We want to try and help build the Vauxhall community and we think AstraSport is an asset to it. One way to achieve this is the joining the VBOA which is not an easy process, and one we are very proud to be apart off. It has given the community here the recognition it has deserved for a long time One comment at the presentation was 'its about time you came to us, what took you so long!'

3. Money is also a massive part of it as well. For the last few weeks the site has had a lot of time out errors, this is due to us hitting the limits for a shared server. so we need to go dedicated, this will cost £125 a month to run. With all the other associated costs the generally running of AstraSport is considerable sum per year. Accounts will be published quarterly from now on, so everyone can see where the money goes and that the club is 100% non profit. For the last 7 years the site has been funded by us and has become unmanageable, so club funding is needed in some way or another.

Asking people for money is difficult and most will ask "what's in it for me", but leaving people the option of accessing a FULL forum for free, but not the benefit of attending shows or getting discounts and news letters is fair enough.
    Agreed most will ask whats in it for me, we hope that we have shown that for the cost of your membership you will get it back in discounts without any problems at all, as an added bonus they will see more discounts and get a news letter keeping them in touch with the community that little bit more .

Set up the club so you need to pay to get any benefits out of the forum will only drive people to other forums and no one will win.
    This is a biggest concern this is why we are making sure nothing that is used here for the last 7 years is changed whats so ever. Yes we are going to give paid members a few more toys to use, but again thats part of what they get for supporting the club with a paid membership. We would like to think there are benefits already to being an Astrasport member so we will continue that and indeed build on it!

The matter of paying to run the forum could be covered by corporate sponsor links on each section, other forums have done this.
    Getting sponsorship/advertising is nigh on impossible, we have tried for years! Companies dont want to know and I cannot think of one forum that is paid for like that. The costs are just to huge we would have to bring in around £250 a month and that money simply isnt out there - well its not for an astra club anyhow I wish it was

If the forum becomes closed or partially closed it will die - just look at the example named after the engine in a Coupe turbo!
    The forum will not become closed, there will be a members forum but thats really just for club news regarding discounts coming, and ideas and feed back. We will be very carefully in how the members forum is used as we dont want to detract from the traffic AstraSport is currently used to. A busy forum is a thriving forum

It would be nice to see new names becoming involved in the club and forum, seeing the same names begins to make other's feel left out of the "click".
    I totally agree with the fact it can be a 'click' but the fact of the matter is its hard to get people to give up there free time, and when we do advertise for new staff/help we dont get much in the way of offers! Therefore the club s built up by existing team members. We have also taken on 4 new technical advisor's in the last few weeks: MattS, Gsi-Jay, ZS and DaveDempsey as well as the 4 more we have asked for in the above annoucement. So there is new people with new ideas and thoughts inputting into the community.

What ever way Astra-Sport goes it will not demish my enjoyment of my car and hobby, I hope it remains as it has been for the first 2 1/2 years of my Astra ownership.
    I hope it does as well, I hope you think its a good idea to join up - it may even enhance your hobby , if you dont then great! You can keep us on our toes when it comes to making sure AstraSport keeps its great reputation
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ill be baying soon without a doubt
    astra coupe bertone on 18" pro race 1.2s now on coilovers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm waiting for the paypal to open up and i will be coughing up for full membership. I've recently joined another payed members club and i think it is a good idea considering the benefits you get from it. Obviously there will be people who (and i don't mean any offence by this) won't want to pay and, as Mat said, those people will still be free to use the AS forum that will remain as it is. I'm all for AOC and I hope it works out. The advice and assistance recieved from various members on here has been invaluable to me, and I hope that it continues, as I'm sure it will.

I think the way your doing it Mat is fine. If i was a bit more technically minded, i'd have volunteered my services. Good luck with AOC when it goes live.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the key to remember here is not to alienate anyone. Everyone who uses AS as it is, inputs to one of the fastest moving forums i've seen - adding a paid members area isn't going to impact on this - the majority of that will be for the discounts and specfic members information - what you have here will stay in 90% of its guise.

The other major thing people have to realise is that AS is run 100% voluntarily. No one who runs this site makes money out of it, they give up their time/money and effort to keep this site what it is - its not easy, and the team working behind the scenes for AS and AOC works extremely hard. I doubt theres more than afew hours a day when not one of the mods/admin or team are online - thats proper dedication

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast