Thread: Pioneer DEH-2900MP (noobie help please)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Pioneer DEH-2900MP (noobie help please)

Lo all

I have recently sent back a Mutant media headunit because of some dodgy buttons on it, if/when i get it back either repaired or a new one i plan on selling it as I'm not impressed with it's longevity (function wise it's fine but when the buttons stop working and it randomly resets itself functions become a little pointless).

So I was initially looking at a sony xplod HU but seeing some people's reactions to the xplod range in general I have started to look at other options.

I have found the Pioneer DEH-2900MP which is in the right price range and plays MP3 CDs, it doesn't have the USB like the sony though. Firstly do people have any comments on the pioneer?

Secondly, when I bought my MK3 LS I found the previous owner had had a bit of a shot at upgrading the sound system, when i investigated further I found it was a bit of a botch job. The front components are magnat components that he was running off a boot installed amp (based on the cables he left in, no amp though) only thing is he didn't use any mounting adapters and the speakers are kinda jammed in with only 2 screws holding them. So i was thinking of replacing the front speakers with a pair of full range as I will not be installing an amp and I believe a 2 way full range is slightly easier to drive than a component set with a passive xover. So can people recommend a cheap set of 2 way speakers to be driven by the above mentioned HU. I am looking to keep this work as cheap as possible, I don't need massive power or incredible fidelity just a good value for money, reliable system.

Any and all comments and suggestions are very welcome as I am very much a beginner in this field of hi-fi/entertainment.

Thanks
    Eric

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Welcome to AS.

I changed my head unit for a Sony head unit. To keep it simple the Pionner unit should do nicely so don't worry about that. I'm finding the Sony head units a bit popular which takes the magic away from them for me to be honest. I've been looking at the Pioneers quickly in Halfords and I like the look of them.

As for the current ICE I'd remove the unneccesary wiring and pick yourself up some good speakers. There are many different choices depending upon how bassey and loud you like your ICE and most of all your budget. I'm not ice man but I think the Vauxhall std speakers are fine for me in my MK4. We have an autoelectrician on here called autosparks. No doubt he will comment on this thread when he gets home, he's very knowledgable and may be able to help you further.

Good luck. Pics of your car and an intro if you please in the chit chat section is a kind of ritual for all newbies

Hope you enjoy AS

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    To start with I really do rate pioneer headunits at any end of the scale. They are simple to use and a great all round headunit and don't look half bad either

Speaker wise the first thing your going to have to do is get adaptors for your speakers anyway and if money's a factor could you not then mount the speakers you already have properally?

As for what speakers to fit I can't really make any recomendations as I don't get to listen to many of them at all. I would say think about compoments though as otherwise the tweeter from the 2 way speaker is down by your feet and not really where you want the sound comming from

Apart from that I say do as Jam says and rip all the after market old wiring out so you don't get to confussed and it alwasy makes a neater job
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for that, AS you make a good point about trying the existing speakers with proper mounts first off, and I think I'll probably try that. I think the things that prompted me to go the other way was that if I don't like the existing ones then i'd have to take off the door panel again (major pain i found last time, though i didn't have a little forked tool thing) and also that with the previouis head unit on a couple of occasions I'm sure I heard the tweeter crackling. How difficult is it to run new speaker cable from the HU to the front door speakers? Because also if I remove the front to back speaker cable runs then I'd have that available to play with.

Think I'll order the HU tonight

Eric

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I think its pretty easy on a MK3 to run the cables to the door speakers. If you open you door and look towards the hinge you will see a rubber pipe. If you squeeze it you'll find its pretty flexible. Basically you run the wires to this throught the tube and into the door. Easy peasy.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    Easy peasy.
    haha I like that, immortal last words! I'll have an investigation I think.

Couple of other questions.

1) I seem to remember when i removed one of the door panels that there seemed to be 4 wires coming from the headunit, at the time I presumed it was from a built in xover and was feeding hi and mid/lo separately for the original speakers. Is this right? There is a signal on both sets as I fed one set to the tweeter and one to the mid/bass. But after looking at the ISO wiring diag in another thread it looks like the speaker outputs are just fr,fl,rl,rr and no hi/lo.

2) What is the easiest way to connect new speaker cable to the HU? I tried removing the pins from the ISO block when I trying to switch the ignition/constant power in a similar way to computer molex connector pins but in the end just cut the wires and crimped on some spades and swapped them that way.

Thanks again

Eric

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Right to run complete new speaker wires from the speaker to the headunit is a bit of a pain in the MK3 as well as you will have the drill the plastic multi connector where the wires go into the door. Unless you really want to cause your self extra work I wouldn't bother

You say on the headunit you saw 4 sets of speaker wire, the will be for front and rear, left and right. The crossover for the door speakers are built into the tweeter so the bottom speaker does full range

Easiest way to connect new speaker wire to the headunit will eb to cut the wire a good 5 cm from the ISO block and use bullet connectors there
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha AS all our knowledge are belong to you.

I don't think i explained it very well last time but I thought I found 2 pairs of speaker wires inside the doors. The rear speakers have always worked so I imagine that they are happily running off the HU the way they should which is why I was surprised to see 4 wires in the front door.

If the signal from the HU is full range like you say and in a standard config the xovers are in the tweeters the way my passenger door is hooked up at the mo, one pair to tweeters one to mid/bass would explain why the tweeter was having trouble, i.e getting a full range signal. It's easily fixed though, I'll just use one pair of the signal cables and feed it to the existing passive xovers in the doors and connect the tweeter and midbass to the appropriate terminals on it.

Thanks again.

(p.s. my HU was shipped today )

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Some after market compoment speakers will have a inline filter going to the tweeter to filter out the bottom end

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i figured that the previous owner was probably using the xovers I found in the door as the speaker cable from the boot was running to it. You could be right though, the tweeters may have some built in protection, but considering they were breaking up as not very high volumes, and it looks like the front components came as a kit with the xover (all same make) I'd probably imagine they were expecting a pre-filtered signal.

Cheers

Eric