Thread: Air/Fuel Mixture (X16XEL)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Air/Fuel Mixture (X16XEL)

what governs the fuel/air mixture in my engine?? (not smart asses saying the ECU)

i guess it would be a combination of
    air temp sensor (inlet temp)
    coolent temp
    anything else??

also what make sensors does the ECU take into account when deciding wheter the auto choke should be on??

my engine is still runing a little rich which is causing the plugs to choke up so i am trying to decide what it could be.

i have no warning lights so i am guessing that nothing has has broken fully but i think that some sensors may be out of tollerence which may be leaving the choke on for longer than needed.

Obviously i expect the autochoke to be on for a good few miles in this cold weather but i am doing 100Miles of motorway driving eachway to work at the mo so the engine has plenty of time to get up to temp but i am losing around 3 MPG and today the plugs were choked up again making it run rough again for the first few miles.

it does seem to be temperature dependant. i.e it was fine untill friday when i was driving home and i lost quite a few MPG and then the car was a bitch to get started on all four pots this morning (the first time it had been started since friday night) obviously friday was rather cold with all the snow.

just for info the plugs where brand new about a month ago

also has anyone else experienced anything like this in cold weather? especially on the 1.6 16V

cheers in advanced

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the coking on the plugs can be caused by 2 things - 1 as you say running rich (and not burning all the fuel that's being put in), the other possibility is burning oil - has it been overfilled? has the rocker cover gasket leaked oil into the sparkplug wells?

the other thing that would cause you to lose mpg would be a hole in the exhaust causing lack of back-pressure, hence the engine puts in more fuel, as it thinks it's colder than it is.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Air intake temp and engine temp sensor. My Z16XE the temp sensor went and the car was overfueling.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be the lambda sensor mate, also known as O2 sensor.

it measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases and sends a signal to the ecu to adjust the fuel mixture accordingly. if this is reading out of tolerance this could cause overfuelling.

also i dont think there is an air intake temp sensor on x16xel?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers guys.

I haven't had chance to get on here much since posting this but since i posted this the car has been spot on.

not had any problems and i have covered around 1200 miles.

the MPG has gone back up as well.

but then again the weather has been a lot better aswell.

i haven't had chance to see if there is any oil in the spark plug wells but the last time i took te plugs out there wasn't any.

I serviced the car two weeks ago and didn't overfill the oil.

not noticed any blowing from the exhaust.