Thread: GSI - Help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

GSI - Help

The other day on a long run my GSI said check oil...

I checked and it was low which is unusual, so i topped it up being away from home and booked it in for a service.

She was running fine and i checked the oil a few days later, everything okay.

This morning i got a check coolant, checked it was lowish but okay. Engine temp was fine.

Drove home, near home car was revving a lot but going not very far and then would be fine, got within 2 minutes of house when lots of acrid black smoke and burning, switched off engine and had it recovered to the house.

Any suggestions as to what i am going to get hit with tomorrow, clutch has gone for sure i reckon , but what caused it.. leaking oil ? or just conicidence with the other symptoms ?

Mark

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markiehill
    The other day on a long run my GSI said check oil...

I checked and it was low which is unusual, so i topped it up being away from home and booked it in for a service.

She was running fine and i checked the oil a few days later, everything okay.

This morning i got a check coolant, checked it was lowish but okay. Engine temp was fine.

Drove home, near home car was revving a lot but going not very far and then would be fine, got within 2 minutes of house when lots of acrid black smoke and burning, switched off engine and had it recovered to the house.

Any suggestions as to what i am going to get hit with tomorrow, clutch has gone for sure i reckon , but what caused it.. leaking oil ? or just conicidence with the other symptoms ?

Mark
    hi markiehill, sorry to hear about the problem, had a simular incident with my GSI back in the summer, it turned out to be the turbo giving out. when you checked your oil & topped it up iam assuming that you were very careful not to over fill as this may also have caused probs (not telling you to suck eggs & all that)

regards

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i was very careful not to overfill her, any idea what the typical cost of a turbo from vauxhall is going to be ... i am guessing a clutch will be 250.00 fitted btw what was your milage mine is 70,000 roughly

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i was very careful not to overfill her, any idea what the typical cost of a turbo from vauxhall is going to be ... i am guessing a clutch will be 250.00 fitted btw what was your milage mine is 70,000 roughly
    Hi mate.

Sorry to hear about your problems.
    The vxr turbo is actually almost a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the gsi version.
    Think a vxr unit is about £400-450 & a gsi unit about £600.
    04 Zafira GSI, Miltek cat back & other extra's, CS1 = 245bhp & 279lb/ft

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can u fit a vxr unit on ? not sure the turbo has gone though coz when the clutch went and the engine revved high , i heard the turbo wine as normal so maybe i am lucky ? maybe the oil not related, i can see some slight oil marks on the right hand side of the engine .. whats over there ? sorry not very technical

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the turbo went @ 59,750 so was really lucky as just inside warranty! don't know what it cost, but i know vauxhall paid for alsorts on it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Will a vauxhall dealer fit a VXR turbo if thats what it turns out to be ???

Or will i have to take it elsewhere ?

Also would a failing turbo be resposible for coolant loss? I was thinking more a gasket somewhere.

If i have to take it elsewhere, can anybody suggest good places in Bucks

Mark
    Black Zafira GSI 52 plate.
    Black Merc C230K Class Sports Coupe 53 plate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the turbo is water cooled too, so it could be related?
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    awaiting car to be taken do dealer, but they have given me a guide price of £1100 for replacing the clutch ....

seemes excessive to me ..

phoned mr clutch they quoted 400.00...

anybody have any thoughts etc

Mark
    Black Zafira GSI 52 plate.
    Black Merc C230K Class Sports Coupe 53 plate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the seals in the turbo gone as the oil and coolant has gone into the turbo and then leaked into the intercooler and burnt in the engine.

you need a new turbo get a vxr turbo works just the same but cheaper
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast