Thread: Crash cams

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Crash cams

Had someone lightly hit the rear of my car the other day - I was waiting at a junction and then hear the skid then a clunk with a bit of judder in my car. Silly woman behind me must of thought I was goin to go or just had slow breaking reactions. Either one she stank of booze. It was late so couldn't see much but looked like my car was ok so left it at that. And amazingly I cant see any damage!!! (thanyou lord)

But it got me thinkin - if it had been a bad smash, no-one was there to witness and iv spent alot of time on my car. Started thinking id like to fit a camera to rear and front window - like the old bill. Especially with all the tos**rs that cut you up on roundabouts/motorways...etc.....

Now getting the cameras isnt a problem but finding something that can record alot of footage (like a digital video recorder) is a problem. Well something that doesnt cost £1600 or even £300. Id like to find something for £100 or less And NOT a VHS recorder

Anyone have any tips/advice/experience.......

Cheers>
    daBLUONE >
    ASTRA SXI > TWINPORT > ULTRA BLUE > 3 DOOR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    She stank of booze, hit your car and you did nothing????
    Mk4 Astra coupe SE 2
    Signum 3.0CDTi
    Now Owns: Vectra C GSi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could be wrong but no point in em. For one I am sure they are illigal and two would not stand up in a court of law due to date stamp etc but i could be wrong

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WTF? Someone who reeeked of booze crashed into your motor and you didnt call the police? PMSL.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There was no obvious damage and no-one was hurt. The police around my way wont come out for a gang of 20 kids fighting and smashing cars so I figured they wouldn't come out for this.

Im unsure if cameras are illiegal as taxis and buses are being fitted with them. Also if it was a system that didn't date stamp I dont see why it couldn't be evidence as It could show the car crashing into you (drivers face, license plate) for example. Isnt that better than a photo of your crumpled car?
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can get things in america that are always on, but if you have a crash you hit a button and it records the last 60 seconds to file.. and if you have them fitted in the USA you get like 20% off insurance premiums.. maybe more..

In-car camera records accidents

Events recorded by the camera can be downloaded onto a computer

A new device which automatically captures the moments before and after a road collision has been tested by a chauffeur company in West Sussex.
    DriveCam is an onboard camera which continuously records a journey, discarding the data every 20 seconds.
    If an accident, swerve or emergency brake occurs it saves the 10 seconds beforehand and 10 seconds afterwards.
    Tristar, a limousine company working out of Gatwick Airport, says it is the first to try the system in England.
    Dangerous driving
    The camera was developed in the US, where it is now standard issue in thousands of commercial vehicles.
    DriveCam has been endorsed in the UK by the Institute of Advanced Motorists, which said results generated by the system in the US, combined with driver training, had cut the frequency and severity of accidents by up to 50%.
    The camera is mounted behind the vehicle's rear view mirror and as well as being useful for resolving issues about the culpability of crashes can identify dangerous driving behaviour.
    It works by collecting high risk driving events on a palm-sized colour video recorder, capturing what the driver sees and hears inside and outside the vehicle.
    Anthony Withers Green, sales and marketing director of Tristar Worldwide Chauffeur Services, told the BBC News website the company would be analysing its trial of the system but the benefits were already apparent from the points of view of safety and corporate liability.
    John Kane, director of DriveCam Europe, said the potential was for every vehicle, including private cars, to have the system fitted.
    astra mk5 1.4
    19" tsw reflex, eibach 30/30, airbox/vxr intake/k&n filter, Steinmetz air intake

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers - problem is with these sort of systems is the price tag. Usually things like this start from £650 (like the TruScene camera)

I guess this idea for cameras is something people haven't had experience with (gap in the market me thinks) and yet reversing cameras are taking off. It will come yet im sure....
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its A good Idea Mate, But its just something extra for little Chavy To**ers to Rob! You would need a Hidden One or Something!

As for the Evidence Side it cant not be used incase it fake if it shows someones car rammed into you! No Matter How good you are with PS you can fake that!
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok maybe not in a court but the insurance company would except it surely? you have to prove an accident was not your fault??
    daBLUONE >