Thread: new ice in astra sxi mk4

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

new ice in astra sxi mk4

Hi all. just bought a mk4 astra, and not happy with the stock system. Ive just bought and fitted an alpine 9855r head unit which has improved things a bit, but it still needs more work.
    I've been looking at getting a set of Alpine Type X SPX-177R components for the front. Also might get an alpine pdx4.150 amp to power them... but is it worth having an amp to power the front speakers.
    Also what do you reckon is best for the rears? Is it worth putting a shelf in. I dont want 6x9s on the shelf as they look tacky.
    I thought about getting some coaxials in the rear doors and putting a stealth shelf in and another set of SPX-177R components on there.
    As for the sub, im looking at getting an alpine Type X SWX-1242D. Would it be better to run this on another amp if one amp is powering the front/rear/shelf speakers?

I've been generally looking at alpine as theyve allways been good for me, but if anyone knows of anything thats better than what ive stated for a similar price then let me know.

Sorry for asking so many questions on my first post, but im trying to get it all done quickly.

Thanks In Advance.
    DT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had comps in front and the back powerd by a 4 channel amp and then a seperate amp for sun but then again i had alot more power
    astra coupe bertone on 18" pro race 1.2s now on coilovers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site mate, i've just rubbed my monitor cause I thought there was a spec of dirt after your user name

I think i your on the right tracks already with what you have planned but i'd scrap the idea of a stealth shelf. You should be able to get a perfectly decent sound with just some amped up front speakers and a sub
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just to let you know i was told alpine comps dont fit there too deep might be worth checking before you buy them

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    listen to autosparks mate he knows his stuff
    astra coupe bertone on 18" pro race 1.2s now on coilovers

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autoSRI
    just to let you know i was told alpine comps dont fit there too deep might be worth checking before you buy them

Most components seem too deep at first...

but to allow you to fit them properly you need an adapter ring, which brings the mounting surface out a bit allowing 'deep' components to then fit

Such as these pics may help:

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpfull advice
    I'll check the sizes of the speakers.

Where would you reccomend putting the amp to power the front components, bearing in mind there will be a seperate amp for the sub. (i dont want anything on show. i dont like being a poser or advertising stuff to theives).
    Also, i've heard that its a bad idea to run speaker cable alongside power cable. is this true? and if so, whats the best way to run the wires to the amps and from the amps to the speakers without pulling too much of the car to pieces.

Thanks again
    DT

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best bet is probably a false floor in the boot, which will give you room to fit amps underneath.

Cables - yeah bad idea to keep power and speker/rcas together.

As for routing them, power down one side under the plastic sill, speaker/rcas down other...you will get away with NOT removing the seats.

Have a quick read through this ICE section for more tips

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    m40coo it was just what i was told by a good ice dealer
    loving those rainbows when i get som money im looking at rainbows focal and dls so what sort of sound do yours give
    sorry for hijack

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had them rainbows and wasnt too impressed with em, just bought some DLS havent fitted em yet hope they are better
    Got XBOX LIVE? Gimme a game!
    Gamertag: DOGBOY14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast