Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about Windows XP COA's???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know about Windows XP COA's???

Hey Guys,

My mate has an XP Pro COA on an old Dell PC in his garage that he no longer needs. I know the key on the COA wont work on my PC as its not Dell, but one of my other mates said if I call Microsoft and tell them the Dell PC has been destroyed and no longer in use they should be able to give me a new code and the Dell COA will then be registered to my PC.

Anyone know if this is correct?

John
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That COA should work on any PC.

You'll habe a Dell logo when you open System Properties.
    Astra SRi Turbo
    281|317

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolHead168
    That COA should work on any PC.

You'll habe a Dell logo when you open System Properties.
    I have tried once before and the Dell COA only works with the Dell OEM XP install CD. If you try installing XP from a Dell CD it wont work unless the motherboard is Dell.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john1981
    I have tried once before and the Dell COA only works with the Dell OEM XP install CD. If you try installing XP from a Dell CD it wont work unless the motherboard is Dell.
    This is true, i also heard if you ring microsoft and say the motherboard on the dell broke you replaced it and you need a fresh install, they should give you one.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you're out of luck, mate. As far as Microsoft are concerned, the right to use copies of XP that ship with a PC ("OEM" copies) lives and dies with the PC itself.

That's assuming you're doing everything legally and above board. If you're not... well, I really couldn't comment (and I'm not sure the mods would like it if I dd anyway).

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one phrase: Bit-torrent.

Now go search!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LOL its easy to get an illegal version of XP. I wanna get a legit version cheap. I think I will give Microsoft a call tomorrow and ask them to see what they say.

John

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    best way is to become a student with a university/college registered with msdnaa, you get free xp then, infact we get free vista (business version but still) i downloaded it a few weeks ago from the msdnaa site *ducks and avoids anti-student jealousy* . Not that i've tried installing it yet, i only use xp for gaming and can see vista will be the same.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We have Software Assurance on our Enterprise Agreement at work - means we always have the very latest version of everything. We have an Employee Purchase Program which means you can buy anything Microsoft sells for a little over the cost of purchase, for home use - valid forever.

I have a free copy of Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate on my desk Not installed either yet as I thought the Beta's and RC's were cack. Think I'll wait til SP1 comes out

Back on topic though:
    There is no way of getting a legitimate copy of Windows cheaply unless you are a student(age5-25) or a teacher. If there was, then why would anyone pay the full price??
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay
    We have Software Assurance on our Enterprise Agreement at work - means we always have the very latest version of everything. We have an Employee Purchase Program which means you can buy anything Microsoft sells for a little over the cost of purchase, for home use - valid forever.

I have a free copy of Office 2007 and Vista Ultimate on my desk Not installed either yet as I thought the Beta's and RC's were cack. Think I'll wait til SP1 comes out

Back on topic though:
    There is no way of getting a legitimate copy of Windows cheaply unless you are a student(age5-25) or a teacher. If there was, then why would anyone pay the full price??
    Yea I am not too sure on Vista yet. So far it just seems to slow my PC down when I use it. Plus most of the applications I use aren't supported. It annoys me slightly that Microsoft made so many different versions or Vista. I think I will stick with XP for the next 6-12 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast