Thread: SXI White Dials (Info)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SXI White Dials (Info)

A while back i got some blue leds for my dash, then i read a thread from oddjob about the later models having a yellow filter in them post 2002, considering mine is 04 i knew it would definately be in there or so i thought. After searching ebay for weeks looking for the right dials, i decided f**k it, i'm just gonna try on my lunch just to see if they work and to my surprise they worked spot on bright blue. So just to let ppl know i think the white SXI dials any year will work fine with different colour leds or i could be lucky. The only downside was that the mileage clock did have that stupid diffuser. It is the only LED which is not blue i have converted everything. Now i'm gonna have to rip them apart just for one LED, hopefully it will be worth it. Hope this info is handy for anyone.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So they worked spot on - - but did'nt ALL work.... so advice was right !

Got any pics

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry but Im a little confused here - post 2000 clocks do indeed have the yellow diffuser but not in the clock faces themselves! Only the mileage readout.
    Other diffusers fitted are in the MFD and the heater dial faces. Fitting coloured LEDs to later Mk4 dials has never been an issue with regards to illuminating the faces - only the mileage readout that causes problems.

Anyway glad ur happy with ur new mod.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only reason i posted this thread was because i had recently read a thread from oddjob regarding later model dials having a yellow diffuser. He demonstrated with pics but after reading in more detail i noticed he only mentioned the black dials having this filter no talk of the the white ones, so thats when i thought i would give it a go. Obviously they worked but he was correct abouth the mileage comp annoying. Also when i removed the dash i dind't disconnect the unit i just changed the bulbs but a weird light come on which looked like a burning fag, any ideas.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it'll be the trailer connection light. remove the bulb if it has its own or remove the surface mount LED when u take the clocks apart to do the mileage

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should have reread the thread again Lee, the white faced dials appear to have the orange filter only in the mileage display in post 2000 clocks. Pre 2000 clocks of both types have no filters in at all, this also seems to be true of the MFD and the heater facia.

The mileage display filter is awkward to remove but not too difficult, hardest part is removing the needles, after that it's fairly easy.

To recap, only the black faced clocks of post 2000 manufacture cannot be illuminated by blue LEDs as the orange layer bonded to the facia defeats the blue light, white faced clocks appear to be ok for the illumination side. Both sets of clocks have the orange diffuser in the mileage display after 2000.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    The mileage display filter is awkward to remove but not too difficult, hardest part is removing the needles, after that it's fairly easy.
    Little tip for anyone reading this.
    Use a fork to remove the needles, it gives u the support on both sides of the needle so you wont break them.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I put my LEDs in my MK4, took the needles off fine but the bloke that was doing them with me decided to just turn then round and round...

Now when I go from say 50-70 the needles go up in bits instead of a nice smooth increase.

Anyone know how do fix this as it is very annoyin goin from 50 then all of a sudden its on 60 in one move instead of gradually?
    OLD CAR: A5TRA MK4 SXI TWINPORT
    NEW CAR: A5TRA MK5 SRi TURBO XP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say he's screwed the little motor mate I suppose you could resolder a new one on if you got the exact same set of clocks but other that that I'd say a new set of clocks were needed.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    I'd say he's screwed the little motor mate I suppose you could resolder a new one on if you got the exact same set of clocks but other that that I'd say a new set of clocks were needed.
    OLD CAR: A5TRA MK4 SXI TWINPORT
    NEW CAR: A5TRA MK5 SRi TURBO XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast