Thread: IT Question - Optical Mouse After Shutdown

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IT Question - Optical Mouse After Shutdown

Quick question to all you professional it people out there. I know a little bit, but cant solve this one. I got a new colourful (USB - this is part of the problem) mouse not long ago. Looks great. but when i turn off my pc, the optical bit stays lit.

So does the power to my bluetooth dongle as well as the little light on the rj45 network plug. And it gets really annoying at night when youre trying to sleep in a christmas tree lit room

The only way to switch them off is to flick the I/O switch on the back of the pc, which kills everything. Is there another way to sort of switch power supply automatically on shutdown?

Also, in device manager, in usb bit selecting "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" doesnt work.

Cheers in advance
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    short answer.... no, not with atx motherboards. the old AT motherboards were good for it but not atx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers. Weird though, because I've never seen anyone elses pc do it.

I figured it was just a windows setting on mine, because say if i flick the I/O switch on the back off to kill everything, if i flick it back on, nothing gets power (like i wanted) till you start up the pc like normal. very starnge
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no the network cards lights stay on because there's possibility to do wol (wake on lan) I guess it keeps the usb bus running too incase that needs to wake the pc or similar?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look in the BIOS for settings such as wake on lan (if you turn it off the light may turn off)

Same with the usb devices, just remember what you change so it can easily be changed back

Or just put black insulation tape over the lights

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There should be a setting in the BIOS - something like Legacy USB or something. It's to do with the PS/2 and USB settings to allow USB keyboards to appear as PS/2 to the BIOS.

My PC doesn't actually have the setting, but it doesn't actually have PS/2 ports, but that should point you in the direction.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as stated by rob i think, the pc will use wol, which is wake on lan , so if it received an activation packet it will boot, the usb can be disabled via power management and wol can be disabled via the motherboard bios. both are used in networking, more now for usb modem/routers but as i say u can terminate power to them from the bios. also if the mouse is wirless they norm have a shutdown button or connection button this will turn off the mouse.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you don't wanna turn off the little PSU switch, why not turn it off at the mains, then you're not burning electricity to keep it on 'standby' too.

you can get PSU's that have better control over the power supply to the other parts of the PC, they replicate the old school controls that AT motherboards had.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!