Thread: A little turbo help/info? Can i fit a Garrett GT28RS?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A little turbo help/info? Can i fit a Garrett GT28RS?

Recently, i've decided that i would like to upgrade my turbo, rather than going down the usual route of fitting a VXR turbocharger to my car im swaying more to fitting a different turbo and manifold setup all together. A little research has shown that a Garrett GT28RS turbo might be perfect for me as it will easily flow what i would like (300-320bhp) and has an internal waste gate.

Now my problem is this, my tubocharger comes with a boost solenoid on it, which obviously helps the ECU sense what boost level the turbo is sat at. It has one on the turbo and one on the inlet manifold. Is it possible to remove this and not cause any issues to my ECU readings or does it mean that if i want to fit this combo then i will need aftermarket management like omex or something?

Also can recommend a position with which i can safely brace my turbo to relieve stess on the manifold

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the boost control solenoid is only bolted to the turbo, can be easily removed. your main concern would be the recriculating dv thats fitted to the standard turbo, as this controls engine load along with throttle opening. but ive seen other ppl with dif turbos use a generic recirc valve okay.

im tempted to go along this route at some point, will probably use a sr20det manifold and a zlet flange. though i might jut use a dbilas manifold-saves a lot of hassle

jimbo
    ASTRA MK4 GSI TURBO
    WAS CS3 268bhp & 282lb/ft
    NOW CS4 279bhp & 336lb/ft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmurray
    the boost control solenoid is only bolted to the turbo, can be easily removed. your main concern would be the recriculating dv thats fitted to the standard turbo, as this controls engine load along with throttle opening. but ive seen other ppl with dif turbos use a generic recirc valve okay.

im tempted to go along this route at some point, will probably use a sr20det manifold and a zlet flange. though i might jut use a dbilas manifold-saves a lot of hassle

jimbo
    Thats the manifold im using james. Its not the mving f the solenoid im worried about its how it would wrk with my turb when its fitted r if i can remove it altogether. The Gt28rs has the recirculating valve on it already so that won't be much of an issure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont you have a map sensor and an amal valve, one in between the turbo and the wastegate, and one just on the inlet? connect them up same as before.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    map sensor is on inlet pipe, n amal valve on Z20.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo
    Recently, i've decided that i would like to upgrade my turbo, rather than going down the usual route of fitting a VXR turbocharger to my car im swaying more to fitting a different turbo and manifold setup all together. A little research has shown that a Garrett GT28RS turbo might be perfect for me as it will easily flow what i would like (300-320bhp) and has an internal waste gate.

Now my problem is this, my tubocharger comes with a boost solenoid on it, which obviously helps the ECU sense what boost level the turbo is sat at. It has one on the turbo and one on the inlet manifold. Is it possible to remove this and not cause any issues to my ECU readings or does it mean that if i want to fit this combo then i will need aftermarket management like omex or something?

Also can recommend a position with which i can safely brace my turbo to relieve stess on the manifold
    nice one mate! id go for a tubular manifold with a external weastgate! they you can set the boost to whatever you want and you never have to worry about the ECU cutting all the fun out of it.

also ditch the AFM and run speed density.

as for the ECU, i know some Stock GM ecus can be remapped. might be worth looking at guys that can do that. acording to practical performance cars Wayne Schofield of Chip Wizards (07977 004476) is supposed to be really good at tuning (ie cracking the orginal code) the stock ECU's. might be worth a look into rather than going down the standalone setup.

thanks Chris.