AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Head Unit Nightmare!

Car: '99 Astra Mk4 (G) SXI 1.6 16v

Head Unit:

I've read that when you connect aftermarket radio's to Astra Mk4's the red and yellow wires need swapping and I've done that.. but I've still got a problem...

The only way I can get my head unit to power up is to have the permanent power supply from the car going into both the permanent and live connections for the radio.

Connecting the permanent to the permanent and live to live, I get full ignition-off functionality (i.e. I can eject a CD but not actually power the unit up) but even when the engine is on I still can't power it up.

Connecting the permanent and live wires the wrong way around just doesn't provide any power even when the engine's on so that's no help.

Does this mean there's something wrong with my car's electrics? Or is it just a standard Astra thing and I'll have to put up with just having permanent and no live power?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like you've got no ignition live power, make sure the plugs in properly and check the connections are all made. if all is ok there then you may need to borrow a volt meter (multimeter) to check to see if your getting voltage on the ignition live cable. might be worth checking the fuse too.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site mate

First of all check all the fuses because it could just be a blown fuse. Next if it's not that get a basic test light or multimeter and check for live on both the red and yellow wires with the ignition on
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay thanks guys I'll try checking those see how it comes on

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tested with a multimeter and the ignition live wasn't giving any voltage. I checked all the fuses and they were all fine - there must be a problem in the wiring loom somewhere.

I split the permanent power feed and connected it to the permanent and ignition live for my radio and it works fine, just have to remember to switch my radio off when I leave the car so it doesn't drain the battery!

Thanks for your help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey mate, i had the same problem the other day.

could get a direct live but wouldnt switch off when i took out the keys. realised that fuse 21 had blown
    Black Sapphire SRi Turbo

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    what about using an ignition live from somewhere else. Isn't the cigarette lighter switched on/off via the ignition?
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    would also look into finding the fault on the original ignition live. the last thing you want is to find it's shorting out somewhere and you end up with it either making something live that shouldn't be, or worse still it creating a fire! bit extreme but safety 1st!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.