Thread: front arch rubbing after lowering

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

front arch rubbing after lowering

I just lowered my x18xe1 sxi astra on were supposedly -40 mil jamex springs,the front seems to be a lot lower than that as there is aint much space between the arch and wheel and is a lot lower than the back,but anyway over bumps on the road at speed and taking corners the front wheels are buffing, it sounds like it the wheel is hitting the outter lip of the plastic inner arch or maybe the wing arch itself!!! has anybody had this problem before??? I have been thinking of trimming the plastic arch..
    Irmscher MK3 Astra Irmscher Mk4 SXi 1.8 16V Vectra C CDTi Astra H 1.7 CDTi XP Moonland SRi CDTi Sporthatch Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the dimensions of your rims? width, diamater and more importantly OFFSET!

You may just need to trim the plastic inner arches but worse case scenario could mean having the arches rolled.....if this is the case then this would suggest your rims are the wrong offset and maybe replacing them would be a cheaper alternative.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    probably thats what it is! never thought of that till now doh! theyre aftermarket 17`s mate that were on it when I bought them dont know the offset need to take them off to see what is stamped into the back of them! whats the ideal offset range when lowering a mk4 do you know??closer to et49 the better i suppose???
    Irmscher MK3 Astra Irmscher Mk4 SXi 1.8 16V Vectra C CDTi Astra H 1.7 CDTi XP Moonland SRi CDTi Sporthatch Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    offset varies depending on width and diamater. The illusive offset is typically 49mm but can vary with different rims.

Check out this link for full details: http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1307

Seeing as they're 17s then u should ideally stick to the following ETs (Offsets) for each rim width: 7" = 38 - 49, 7.5" = 40 - 49.

Have a look on the back - it might have ET then the number or it may just be something like mine in that it has 40 with a circle round it.

Hope this helps

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate, I will get investigating!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had it too when my car was really low on 19's

Just cut the plastic arch away if it is that
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...