Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Led MFD, Heater Dials and Mileometer with yellow filters still in place

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Red Led MFD, Heater Dials and Mileometer with yellow filters still in place

sorry if its a repost, i did search but couldnt find the info i was after.

I have a 51 reg astra coupe turbo with the fuel computer MFD, i did buy some white led's for the dash but the MFD, heater dials and mileometer still glowed yellowish so i take it they all have yellow filters in them but if i was to change the LED's to red ones would it shine through red properly or not? and has anyone done it to a car with the filters still in place as i cannot find anyone with a spare fuel Computer MFD yet alone one with a white filter in it

Any pictures will be helpfull so i can get a idea of how bright the red with yellow filter looks.
    Daily Driver: 2004 Europa Blue Astra Convertible with cream leather.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There was a guy on here a few weeks ago that said instead of the expensive way of sourcing a white filter from an earlier model he just stuck a few pieces of white paper together and fitted these and it worked a treat!

It certainly may be worth a go instead of buying replacement parts just so u can use the filter or to swap em over entirely.

As for red LEDs Im not so sure - I would imagine they would still glow an orangey colour - therefore to get the true red glow Id be certainly tempted to try the paper method!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    tru i did think about that but what about the yellow filters in my heater dials tho?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there should only be the orange diffusers in the MFD and mileage display.

Have u still got the white ones fitted? maybe a pic of the naff output would help

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    i took the white ones out when they looked yellow still but even brighter, the Heater controls definetly had a very yellow tint to it and upon stripping them down a bit i couldnt see any yellow diffusers so assumed they are actually printed yellow somewhere on the dial face, i.e if you hold just the thin piece of dial face up against the sun it shines yellow thu it

Mike

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rite yes red does still work with the yellow filters in place as thats wat ive done with my mileage bit and it was me who said bout the paper imo works a treat and costs nuffin as only 1 sheet of paper

SE2 coupe - veccy c airbox mod, total closure, blue led interior goodies, hid kit, angel eyes,led handle lights,kerb lights,uv footwell neons, twin exhaust,leds everywhere, tints,door pins

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    cheers for the reply's i will try red LED's straight in to see how they look

Mike

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just fitted the bulbs straight in, i couldn't see any sort of orange filter, and the bulbs look great in red... not sure if the older Astra's didn't have the filters though, mines a MK4 1998
    Leave No Man Behind.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont bother with LEDs, pop down to your local autoelectritians and get some osram bulb holders and red bulbs which used to be used in old ford montego's, they work well better that LEDs as they have a wider range of light and eleminate the hotspots.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yer ina 98 there white filters its only after 2000 they went with the stupid orange 1s
    SE2 coupe - veccy c airbox mod, total closure, blue led interior goodies, hid kit, angel eyes,led handle lights,kerb lights,uv footwell neons, twin exhaust,leds everywhere, tints,door pins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast