Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stereo help required.

Hello All,

I have just (1 week ago) got an Astra Coupé 2.2 and am more than pleased on the whole, although there are a couple of things that I would like to change, so would like to ask for any suggestions and advice form people that will maybe know a bit more about what I want to do than I do.

I would like to change the stereo head unit for a single slot CD player that has MP3 playback capability, but would also like to retain the use of the 4 stack multichanger in the glove box, does anyone know of any unit that would be able to do this, if there is one like that available that also has an iPod controller built in then that would be ideal, but not essential.

I am also looking to change the speakers, fronts are not a problem, but the rear speakers are something i would like to replace with a pair of 6x9s, either in the same spot (if they would fit) or on the rear behind the rear seat headrests (again, if they would fit), has anyone ever done this, or know of anyone who has, and if so, how easy was it to achieve. I am starting to get a little older now, so I am not too fussed on fitting something that will be heard from a mile away, but if a small box in the boot would be better, then I wouldnt rule out this route.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No idea on the speakers but there is no headunits compatable with the Astra changer..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    TBH you wont need the changer anyway if you get a mp3 player.. thatswhat i have and 1cd holds about 6 albums!

as for speakers on shelf, not 100% on this but are the shelf's not metal on the coupe? wou7lod be wetter just replacing the ones in the rear panels.. standard ones are pretty good tho on mine!
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    To echo whats been said above the vauxhall cd chnager doesn't work with any headunit out there. Change if for a MP3 headunit and ipod adaptor and buy a new glove box back for about £30 and get somewhere to store everything again

As for speakers 6 by 9's can be made to fit in the facorty rear locations with a bit of cutting. I wouldn't recomend cutting the metal rear shelf about at all to fit speakers as thats a main support to the car
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't bother with rear speakers at all. For a quality sound you need some good quality speakers up front, a subwoofer in a small sealed enclosure in the boot all running off either a 3 or 4 channel amp.

Of course there are variations on this theme, multiple subs, separate amps for subs and speakers etc, but the above suggestion is an ideal starting point.

As for HU, i'd recommend a Becker Grand Prix, as they look subtle, sound fantastic and have one of the best iPod control funtions around. Check out www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice, will be looking at some in the next few weeks, do the HU come as an iPod controler or do you have to buy a seperate box for this?