Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question precat for 2001 astra coupe T

I have one of these which I got with Group Buy that Norm did

As I have a coupe T with the all in one precat/main cat and can't really justify the cost of a sports cat I went to my most local powerflow to see about them fitting it to the original cat

basically cutting the original precat out, welding a flange to the main cat and fitting the new decat pipe

They said the decat looked too short so they would have to weld extra pipe to the cat and then attach a flange in order for it to reach the new decat pipe. This they said could take around 2hrs and cost me £150

Now I hadn't heard anyone else having issues fitting these pipes and I didn't really think it would cost £150 for what I thought was going to be a fairly simple job

Anyone else who has had one fitted to a all in one cat, how much did it cost you and did you have any issues?

Thanks

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    for that price it would almost be cheaper to buy a sports cat

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    theyr talking bollox, go somewhere else! how can it be too short? theyd just had to fit a bit extra between the cat and the flange surely?
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, thats what they said, make the cat pipe longer to reach the new pre cat, I'm hoping and will mention to them to fit the decat up first so as to see how much extra they'll need as no one else has had issues with the decat being too short

They said the new precat looked shorter than the standard precat and thats what the issue was

I'd like to think its not going to take 2hrs, it really shouldn't imo but then i ain't no welding expert....lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive been thinking about this loads today in work!

so theyr going to fit the precat (which is exactly the same as the standard cat or how else would we have fitted them?) cut out the old first cat and make a flange. surely if they make the cut in the right place on the pipe they can weld a flange to it to straight off?

i dont know if its me being stupid or them. ive got my standard cat i could lend and post to you to show them?
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i had mine done other day cost me £200 inc a sports cat to fit,inc fitting my precat.
    i had 2 go sports cat way as like u have a once piece

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, after reading I just couldn't justify the cost of a sports cat for the gain that i might get from it hence why i've gone this route. or do you mean you got a sports cat and fitting for £200??.....if so you managed to get a very cheap sports cat!

Yeah, i thought that as long as they cut the main cat in the right place then put the flange on it'll fit straight up without any extra pipe

They were under the impression that as the new pre cat was shorter than the original that the cut would end up somewhere around where the standard one ends (i.e through the cat unit) and so in order to get round that they would have to cut it further down and weld extra pipe on instead

As i say, i'm going to get them to check the sizes of the standard precat against the new one so they can see its not any shorter before they start doing unnecessary work....lol!

Funny thing is I thought these guys would be able to see and have no issues with fitting as when i pulled in they had a supra and a skyline parked up and I thought anyone trusting these guys to work on their cars must mean they are good