Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter

Question BP ultimate

When I went to Autosport Intl at the NEC there was numerous stands advertising BP ultimate. Now I ignored all of them except one when I heard the familiar sound of a dyno. I went in to investigate.

What stood before me was a v8 4.2L Audi A8 looking gorgeous as ever. Now they were trying to prove that there fuel is best for the engine and performance. I quickly took no notice whatso ever of the dyno with 2 Saabs one with ordinary petrol one with BP ultimate with the BP one running 40BHP up on the other one. But what intersted me was the Audi A8. They had converted the car so the left bank ran Ordinary fuel where the right bank was running BP ultimate. With a video linked boroscope they showed the exhaust valves above the piston. The left side obviously looking like crap but the other side looking very much cleaner. I even made sure I knocked the boroscope to make sure it was live and sure enough it was.

Now with this in mind I thought yeah right but I must say from reading the sales speile on the Tinterweb I'm thinking of running this through mine every now and again. Now is it a case of running 97 ron petrol will increase the cleaning effect because of the burning is better?

Have a look at this website link. Especially have a look at the videos of the Audi running with the boroscopes inserted.
    http://www.netroadshow.com/custom/bp...05.asp?t=w&s=h

Opinions and views on this. Is it worth it every now and again or is it worth it every time or is it just a waste of time?
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have been reading on the BP website mate since you mentioned the Ultimate to me earlier and it does sound very interesting. I think it will be good to fill up once a month on this, I take it is it quite expensive?

Al
    Black 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    From what I can gather its 97 ron so I'd expect to pay between 95-98p TBH but I've not seen it around as I haven't been looking. But I have a BP near to me at work and home so I'll be sure to make a trip by about Friday.

They've also just released 102ron as well.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I tried this in my car and it felt alot worst than Tesco 99 Ron. Felt like the horrid Sainsbury's period of petrol.

Tesco has worked for me the best. Pulls much better. Wish I could drink some also.
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been using Shell V-Power as I think its the best fuel and it also has the cleaning additives etc.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I personally use BP Ultimate in my 1.8, down here i pay 96p at the moment, i won't lie and say i've seen massive gains from using it but it has improved the smoothness in running generally.
    Now this is only my opinion so i'm not starting a bitchy slag off fuel argument but after problems we have seen at work i would'nt touch the cheap supermarket fuels
    One example was a astra g 1.8 in for poor performance, pinking, the young lady in question was using supermarket petrol all the time for cheapness, checked for fault codes, non found, sent her away and told her to fill up with a decent branded petrol ( she used BP ) and after about a month she came back in to say thankyou and the car was much better.
    Also after a chat with a friend at my local vauxhall, apparently they do not recommend cheap fuels as this is a known problem.
    As i said this is only my own opinion
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Now thats good info Steve.

You see my application for fuel is best for the engine. I stick well away from super market fuels because i can't stand the queues. I have a 1.6 I'm hardly going to be getting scottyboy performance from it so Vpower is probably WAY over kill. So I'm thinking that with the cleaning effects and not really that expensive when in comparison with other 97ron fuels I'm thinking it may be good for the engine to have 2 tanks of this occasionally.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you may have the wrong end of the stick. THe stuff they were proving had more power is the 101 octane stuff which is hard to come by (although you can get it at the BP in Portsmouth) and it costs around £2.20 a litre. This stuff is effectively F1 fuel and is the genuine deal, but you do have to pay for it through the nose. When I was there they had a 996 911 Turbo on the rollers. It got an extra 40bhp peak and low in the revs at one point had 100bhp more!!!

I'm buying some of this to use at Santapod.

PS. Any good SUL fuel will clean your engine - I use V-Power myself.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use V-power aswell and it makes the car alot more responsive you actually feel the difference when running normal 95 Ron(Still Shell) it feel Sluggish and Slow. until wednesdays then im on Normal Fuel Thursday is pay day ya see
    EK9 Type R

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    V-power is cheaper (1p/litre) than BP ultimate up here

can't see why you think V-power is overkill tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast