Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP Pic updates for those not at the XMAS do (Announcement imminent!)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WIP Pic updates for those not at the XMAS do (Announcement imminent!)

Well I have been downloading my pictures from my camera and realised that those not at the Christmas do would not have had the oppertunity to see progress on my car(actually very few did anyway). So below are some of the progress pics.

I wish I could say that I have finished on the car but well simple answer to that is; no I have not, mainly due to various unforseen circumstances which are taking massive amounts of my time, which at present and the forseeable future remain a wee bit of a problem.

Anyway enough of my ramblings on with the pics.....

So after stripping the car (early stage pic, later the car had no interior not even the dash)...

I was left with Vauxhalls pathetic attempt to sound deaded.

3 layers of dynamat extreme and the gap between outer and inner layer stuffed with sound absorbing foam. The job was a good one. The speaker was trial fitted. Notice the tweeter is floating on a bracket above the driver and yes I have used components but then again with the Eq I am usung I can customise each speaker individually.

Next up time for the roof. Dynamat first (notice I did not cover the entire area but did just as much as was required). Besides another layer was due to go on.

The roof cover in the sound absorbing mat. I used Second Skin Overkill. I could have used overkill pro but as I did not have enough the overkill pro was going on the floor area.

Lastly, the only thing I really disliked a lot about the VXR was the dark and gloomy cabin. Easy enough to change so hey presto after some neat barging I managed to aquire a new headlinging, side trim panels and all the other bits and peices I needed, with the car a a bargin basement price. So all inserted and the interior now looks lovely and airy. No more gloom and doom in there. Oh and why did I leave some black bits well after experimenting a bit I liked the contrast so I left the black peices in place

Enjoy, this will be my last update for a while till I sort out the circumstance that has cropped up. Not sure how long that will be but hopefully not to long .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looks like a big job! well done must sound a lot better!
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took about 28 hours to complete but this was mainly as I did it all myself with no help whatsoever. It does sound better even with the standard ICE in there, as I have not as yet put in the aftermarket ICE.

As for the Panels they are deader than dead (I think MatG, Coo and JimmyC) where a bit shocked just how much of a difference it made. Overall If memory serves a 12db reduction, actually it could be more I cannot really remember.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm amazed, quite simply. I was stunned at how the car felt and sounded when given a little tap from the outside, now I can understand why it feels as solid as a rock. Can't wait to hear the difference it makes when the system is up and running.

Wish I had the time and money to do all this as well, makes my couple bulk packs look a bit pathetic

Oh and I don't think I've ever seen dynamat applied that neatly, good work Basil.
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very nice mate, will make a huge differance. One of the jobs I have to do on the van amazing the differance sound deadening can make

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top job that man

When i did my old corsa i was amazed at the difference it made to the sound quality, there were bugger all rattles and like you say when you tap the panels from outside you know the difference instantly!

Quite an expensive task, but well worth it IMO!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    You don't believe in doing things by halfs Basil, thats one stripped out VXR

Hopefully i'll get to see it at one of the shows this year
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    that car is so quiet on the the inside and so solid on the outside, a fantastic base for the sound Basil wants.

Great pics basil you need to start an Auto-Bio!, oh and mine has a hold up as well so you still have a chance to finish before me
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice work basil, hope your going to make use of it when you purchase the new ice then????

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ICE all bought a long while ago.

Headunit is a Alpine IVA-w200i
    Processor well it was supposed to be a PXA-H701 but that went to my brother, so I get to use the PXA-H700 (no biggy as there is very little difference)
    Front speakers are CDT audio EF620 with sat net 560 Crossover
    Rear speakers are JL audio VR650Csi's (I had these lying around so figured why spend more they are for rear fill)
    Amp is my old trusty customised Soundstream 555 (5 channel amp)
    Sub well undecided here really so will experiment a bit (the choice is a Soundstream Ref 10" or a Pioneer 12" Flat sub or I suppose I could use on of the PL Aliante's 12" SE in my cupboard (but they are not really suited to the amp).
    Navigation well obviously Alpine (might be the Blackbird or the NVW-N099P)
    Bluetooth from Alpine obviously KCE-BT400 (due middle of next year)
    Steering wheel controls at the mo is InCarTec but will later be you guessed is Alpine dual control (Display + steering wheel)

Of course some of the new Alpine PDX series amps my make it into my build, in which case the sub will be a choice of a JL W6 10" or a Alpine Type X 10".

Oh, wiring is a mix of JL Audio Speaker wires (12quage), Schose EFX power and ground wires(4 guage), Phoenix gold Interconnects, Alpine optical cable, Schose EFX distrubution blocks and possibly should I need the flash a Poweramper 1F cap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast