Thread: Traction aids.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Traction aids.

dont know if someone does these for the Astra, but i have heard good reports on them when used on "cough" fords "cough"! lol

dont know what they are called, but its basically a thick bar that replaces the radiator suport. then there are two bars (with rose joints) that go back the the lower wishbones. there is also a third bar that basically suports the rad support that runs back to the bulkhead. you then basically tighten the bars to the wishbones until tight.

from what i read this helps quiet a bit with trcation off the line and coming out of corners. basically from what i remember it helps keep the wheel dynamics a little bit tighter during launches or exits or corners.

i will try and get some more info on it, but im moving house so might take a bit of time.

what do you guys think about this??

thanks Chris.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    isn't that just an antiroll bar basically?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no. its designed to stop the wishbones moving in any direction other than up and down. i guess its a cheaper version of going with a fuly roes jointed set up.

thanks Chris.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    aren't the wishbones bolted in two positions so they can only go up and down? i wasn't aware that the wishbones moving sideways was a problem.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah plus you can get poly bushes for them which would stop most movement. Really this will only help with cornering....

If you are having problems get yourself a few handling mods. You need Whiteline Caster Kit, Whiteline Strut Brace, Whiteline Uprated Front Anti Roll bar and Whiteline Rear Anti Roll bar. Then if you want even more traction get a Quaife Diff...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu
    Yeah plus you can get poly bushes for them which would stop most movement. Really this will only help with cornering....

If you are having problems get yourself a few handling mods. You need Whiteline Caster Kit, Whiteline Strut Brace, Whiteline Uprated Front Anti Roll bar and Whiteline Rear Anti Roll bar. Then if you want even more traction get a Quaife Diff...
    Me personally would go Diff first then all the rest. The diff is the single most beneficial mod to ANY setup of car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishfly
    Me personally would go Diff first then all the rest. The diff is the single most beneficial mod to ANY setup of car.
    Definately!! But its also the most expensive The others are cheap in comparison.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyG
    aren't the wishbones bolted in two positions so they can only go up and down? i wasn't aware that the wishbones moving sideways was a problem.
    yes they are only supposed to move up and down. the probelm with a rubber or even polly bush is they still allow movment in other directions. this is why racers go for rosejoint sas they can put up with the harsh ride, more noise and the other stuff you get with them. this system is supposed to reudce this unwanted movement. i think the RWD guys call them launch bars or something.

thanks for the info on the other stuff Edkinu.

thanks Chris.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuntnigton101
    yes they are only supposed to move up and down. the probelm with a rubber or even polly bush is they still allow movment in other directions. this is why racers go for rosejoint sas they can put up with the harsh ride, more noise and the other stuff you get with them. this system is supposed to reudce this unwanted movement. i think the RWD guys call them launch bars or something.

thanks for the info on the other stuff Edkinu.

thanks Chris.
    Yeah unless its a 100% track car I probably wouldn't bother too much about the movement though..... Honest if you did those few things the car would be the best handling FWD car you could get anyway.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu
    Definately!! But its also the most expensive The others are cheap in comparison.
    That is true... All depends how much they can spare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast