Thread: Where to begine with my mk4 sxi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Where to begine with my mk4 sxi

Hi guys although had my car for 12 months now decided to start stepping up the look and the performance. so far its a as standard 2003 Astra 1.6SXI, Sapphire black and the only mods (poor thing lol) are a K&N 57i induction kit, although ive been advised to change this for a Vectra C mod with Panel filter.. and blacked the windows oh and got a nice Kenwood stereo which sounds great even though its running on VX Speakers..

I want to progress from the only mod i have and get it to "Amazing" status but only just started working again so want to start with the cheap options working up to the big ones but honestly have no idea where to start. ill get some pics on here as it is. but any help starting out would be great and anyone who lives round Oakham and or Notts is more than welcome to help out fitting hehe

Cheers guys
    Jon

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Right then Jon,

The 1.6 benefits from not having an air flow meter to control the precise amount of air going into the system (which is great for us), however gains IMO will be minimal still. If your running the Generation 2 K&N cone which comes with an L shaped bracket to keep heat away from the cone filter then I'd keep with this to be honest. If your running just a cone then ditch it and do the airbox mod. If I were you I'd purchase the Vectra C air intake and associated duct to get as much cold air as possible to that K&N. This will help lower the temperature of the air being inducted from around the engine bay which will help you achieve more performance.

Under the bonnet still...
    Just get a good set of plugs and service it well. Thats the only real thing you can do on the cheap.

Performance exhaust can cost but to start with I'd be looking at the backbox fitment. If flange fitment then I'd be scouring ebay/LMF for a regal sports straight through pipe. Although be warned it will increase the noise level of the exhaust. That should set you back £70 roughly.

Then a good exhaust would be needed as well to gain the most from what you have done already. So someone with a good name Scorpion, Magnex ect should be up your street. Again I'd be browsing ebay or our forsale section.

Then don't forget to upgrade your stopping power. Cheap way of upgrading is adding.

Front air deflectors available from Vauxhall direct or LMF Vauxhall. They have a plug which you push to snap onto your lower wishbone to direct air travelling under your car to the brakes. Some people are seceptical but these work a treat on mine. I get less brake fade. Upgrade the pads and disk and thats braking done. Unless you wanted to go mental and purchase some goodridge hoses which are not that expensive really £80.

Then just save for a remap and bobs your uncle.

Hope that helps
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    sounds like a good start, unfortunatley its just the standard 57i couldnt stretch to the gen 2 at the time, exhaust noise isnt a problem ;-) as long as its good noise so ill be looking to get them first few things done soonish, apart from under the bonnet what is a good way to start on the exterior? is it wise to buy a full body kit or get blah blah skirts and blah blah front and rear splitters? i also like the look of the Irmscher Star alloys, in a 18" has anybody already got thses on a MK4 if so are they any good?
    Cheers
    Astra G SXI, Tints, Remus centre, twin backbox, Autoclosure, Rainbow dash LED's, debadged. POWER!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    sorry for been a pain guys but if anybody could point me towards the right sort of thing on Ebay with regards to the straight through pipe, and would i need a new backbox if so which would be the best option looking for noise but not stupid noise just that sounds "sweet"
    cheers guys
    Astra G SXI, Tints, Remus centre, twin backbox, Autoclosure, Rainbow dash LED's, debadged. POWER!!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    As said you need to know whether your current back box is flange or sleeve. If its a flange then you can use your current backbox if its a sleeve then you'll need to buy a new back box as well.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres the centre it what ive got

http://www.lmfvauxhall.com/prodCatal...x=&deptIndex=3

ive got it with an irmmy B/B if you wait unit i collect the induction kit you can have a listen to mine and see if you want more noise

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam
    As said you need to know whether your current back box is flange or sleeve. If its a flange then you can use your current backbox if its a sleeve then you'll need to buy a new back box as well.
    found the straight throughs at LMF £67 cant complain, going to change the backbox anyway as the piddly little exhaust that is sticking out now looks pathetic, what woukld be a good move for looking good and sounding good? cheers "Jam" for all the advice at least i know what to start buying now lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam
    found the straight throughs at LMF £67 cant complain, going to change the backbox anyway as the piddly little exhaust that is sticking out now looks pathetic, what woukld be a good move for looking good and sounding good? cheers "Jam" for all the advice at least i know what to start buying now lol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much more pull can u expect from sorting out the exhaust system with the straight thru and nice backbox? i also have a 2003 sxi 2 door

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    its quite noticable IMO i have the center section and irmy exhaust
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast