Thread: Help, nightmare engine problems!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Help, nightmare engine problems!!

Ok, i own an x reg 2.2sri with about 60'000 on the clock.

Driving to work last Thursday engine started making a really loud tapping noise that gradually got worse and the car became sluggish pulling away in low revs.

So left the car at work unused over new year and this morning took it to garage.

Received a phone call this afternoon saying they believed i had a slipped timing chain and bent valves. This is only going by the symtoms, they have yet to get in about to confirm it (they will be doing this tomorrow).

Been told that if thats the problem i'll be looking at a bill of around £1000-£1200 roughly to fix it.

My problem now is would i be as well sourcing myself a new engine and getting them to fit that? How much hours labour would i be looking at on top of the engine costs?

I dont really want to start stressing about it until i know for sure what the problem is but just want an idea of some options should it come to the worst case scenario.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly phone vauxhall custome services - they are reluctantly aware of the timimg chain probs on the 2.2, and according to Field Remedy 1532...

"The costs for this repair will be covered for vehicles until 31.12.2007 and
    a mileage lower than 100.000 Km."

but you might have to show service records for it - but it's worth a try

call 01582427200

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately despite the fact the car is serviced regularly there are no service records as its done by a mate at my work who's a trained mechanic. I know thats not the best option in the long run as will have no service history when i sell it but its a lot cheaper as i supply the parts and he services it free of charge.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh well, worth a try

Engine wise, get the head off and get it thoroughly checked over - it might just need new valves, but there is a strong change that the guides might need sorting too.

Also it has been known for the pistons to be damaged but the impact with the valves, especially on a Z22, so get those checked over very carefully.

swapping the engine over might be the cheapest, easiest solution, but if you go down that route I'd strongly advise that you get a new timing chain fitted before it goes in, to be on the safe side - unless of course, it's a brand spanker