Thread: Good Price?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good Price?

My SRI Turbo is due to for a cambelt change as it 4 years old now but has only done 33k but i've decided to change it due to the age.

So i want to get the cambelt, tensioners, auxillary belt (sp?) and waterpump all done at the same time.

But i kept getting silly quotes just to do the Cambelt alone, £190 at my Local Vauxhall dealership, £220 at another garage and then another wanted £240!

Which i thought was pretty excessive for a cambelt change alone - so i dreaded to think how much it would go upto with the water pump etc on top.

However, i mentioned it to a guy at work who i knew used to be a mechanic and he got in touch with his mate who works at a well known garage with a good reputation.

It turns out he does work on the side at home, so i asked for a quote on all the above and he got back to me with a price of £150 all in as he get the parts trade price and does cambelt changes daily throughout the week so its an easy job for him and will give him some tax free pocket money.

Only downside is i don't get a Vauxhall stamp in my service book but he has said he will write in the book and give me the receipts for the parts which is good enough for me.

So if anyone in the West Mid's needs a cambelt change or anything similar let me know and i can see if this guy would be interested in some more weekend work!
    Black SRI Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i would have the stamp on a youngish car,but i get the parts trade club price then get vaux 2 fit,only saves a few squid,but i would rather that stamp imo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup you definately need a VAT reciept at the least to say its been done... Only time I have had this done private is my last car when I fitted a vernier pulley but that was a little different to routine maintenance.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just get the reciept for the parts... let him write it in the service book. Just make sure he uses genuine parts
    .. 2.0 Dti 16v ..
    .. With a few mods ..