Thread: Sensitive ABS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sensitive ABS

Does anyone find that their ABS kicks in a bit too easily? I think mine does, unless it's just crap tyres (Nexens. i've never heard of them, but the garage replaced all 4 before i picked the car up when i bought it, so probably cheapo ones?) My previous car was a Pug GTI6. I thought the brakes on that were quite good. In the dry, you could quite literally stand on the pedal and it would stop without a flicker of the pedal. But in the Astra, even in the dry, too much pressure and it starts to kick in, and judder. I just think that it's letting the brakes down a little. And i don't see the point in upgrading the brakes, as then it'll just lock up easier, and the ABS will kick in quicker.
    Any ideas?
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you can’t help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be the tyres. I've zero problems with the ABS on the Astra. Now, the Corsa C I had was a different matter. The ABS went off if you looked at the brakes.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are the tyres the same size front & rear and at the correct pressure?

Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs! The reason I ask is that the only ABS problem I've had related to running different radius tyres front & rear during a phased changeover to slightly larger diameter tyres. This confused the ABS electronics so that it operated nearly all the time. Restoring equal radius tyres front & rear eliminated the problem.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah the tyres are fine. I suppose i'll just have to wait until i get new ones to find out.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you can’t help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't think I've ever had the ABS going in the coupe and I drive like a complete tool.
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've often thought mine kicks in a little early too. Your sure theres a little more grip left, but then it kicks in. I'm running Eagle f'1s all round so its not the tryres. I may just be wrong and the wheels might be starting to slip, but I dont know if I like it, It seems to take away a little of the stoping power. I used to be pretty good at feathering the brakes on the verge of lockup on non abs models. Then again, I'm not complaining, Sooner or later that ABS might just save me.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I read on vx220.org that some people had changed the electrical module on the top of there abs block/pump that give you less agresive ABS, it might of been off a vxR220.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Coupé
    Come to think of it, I'm sure I read on vx220.org that some people had changed the electrical module on the top of there abs block/pump that give you less agresive ABS, it might of been off a vxR220.
    If so, it wouldn't kick in as easily as it would be less aggresive.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my abs sensor had a fault and abs would come on to early. needed whole new hub with sensor which cured it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find mine comes on if I brake round a high speed corner.... Now I know you shouldn't be braking round corners but sometimes your forced to! None of my other cars had this problem and it really makes the car unstable i've got a gsi with eagle f1's all round.