Thread: Replacing dash light bulbs

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacing dash light bulbs

I've got 2 dash lights that have gone (one for the fuel and one for the speedometer). How hard is it for a complete novice to get behind the dash board to replace this? Vauxhall have quoted £126 (£125 labour, the £1 for the bulbs).

My 2nd question is, is it possible that the the bulbs can be changed for any other colours? Possible colours that I would be interested in is a brilliant white colour, cool blue or red. What kind of bulbs would I need and where can I get them from? Thanks in advance.
    Rolling Road - Northampton Motorsport 19/02/05

Completely standard: 202.5 bhp, 214 lb ft.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    omg!!!! £125 labour! i changed mine in about 20 mins! there is ahow to in the "how 2" section

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If ur after different colours then LEDs will be the ones u need - contact Kirsty (a member on here) for details - superbright quality LEDs as opposed to the dubious quality units aplenty on ebay.

Here's her profile: http://www.m1gst.com/vb/member.php?u=606

As for fitting the bulbs - this is pretty straight forward, the HOW TO isnt the best format IMO as its too cluttered.

Ive PM'd some better instructions on how to change the instrument panel lighting. Unable to post on forum due to copyright issues.

Any questions let me know.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vauxhall make me sick! That is way over the top for the time it takes to do it yourself.

Simply four screws two above and two below steering wheel, then unclip leads from the back.

Two places to get them from:

Kirsty (As mentioned on here)

or www.crazyleds.co.uk for complete kit.

My mate bought his whole interior from Crazy LEDs for his corsa whereas I went to Kirsty. (Better quality LEDs from Kirsty IMO)

Hope you get the lights you want.
    OLD CAR: A5TRA MK4 SXI TWINPORT
    NEW CAR: A5TRA MK5 SRi TURBO XP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    www.crazyleds.co.uk, ive use this guy plenty of times and had no problems, what year is your car as well because that can depend on if its possable
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's an Astra Coupe Turbo 2003 model
    Rolling Road - Northampton Motorsport 19/02/05

Completely standard: 202.5 bhp, 214 lb ft.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mshah: PM replied to - the only difference with certain models is that from roughly 2001 onwards - the MFD and the mileage readout had a orange diffuser fitted (instead of the earlier models with a white diffuser)

No problem whatsoever fitting LEDs (coloured ones) in the dails themselves - just the screens would be an orangey/blue look and not a bright blue that would be achieved if a white diffuser was fitted like earlier models.

There are 2 workarounds i know of - one proven to work - the other not so.

To a diffuser transplant from earlier clocks to ur existing clocks - or just fit earlier clocks - not really an alternative with the 160 clocks tho.

or make a diy diffuser with a couple of pieces of white paper glued together...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's a coupe turbo it's most likely to have the trip computer fitted rather than the standard date/time one. If this is so he'll have 3 bulbs instead of 2 installed and he'll probably have the orange diffuser as standard but I'm not 100% sure on this as I've only dismantled 2 trip computers and both of those were off early models.

Speedos will proably be white faced 160 clocks, the set I took apart didn't have the orange filter in the mileage display but they were out of a Y reg turbo coupe so could be before the changeover date. Or maybe they never fitted the orange filter in the white faced versions?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After reading this then, You can just put blue leds in place of the old bulbs in the mfd . Is that right ?

P.S sorry for butting in on your thread
    Tiny@AstraOwnersClub.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny
    After reading this then, You can just put blue leds in place of the old bulbs in the mfd . Is that right ?

P.S sorry for butting in on your thread
    Not exactly, if you have a pre 2000 Astra then yes, you'll most likely have the old type MFD with the white filter, later than 2000 and it's likely you'll have the later type with the orange filter, in which case no they don't work very well.

If your sig is correct then the "Sport" is probably pre 2000 and thus ok.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast