Thread: throttle boddie options

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

throttle boddie options

Im getting all my parts together still, but im in a pickle on the the throttle boddies.

Now this is the route im going with out a doubt, and was call for bike throttle boddies but in light of finding how good diablas kits are. and the potential gains are near enough the same.

Now Im un sure if I should go the route of bike throttle boddies (cheeper route) or regals throttle boddies kit?

I am getting hold of a recondition cylinder head for me to use while funds are got to gether for it to be gas flowed ect.

and hoping to this engine in a running with or with out the throttle bodies asap. Leaving me some time to decide on which one to go for, as the bottom end and other mods will be done and not affected by these.

what would you choose to do

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What are the price differences between the two kits?
    Is this for the x20xev engine or the x16xel?
    Bear in mind that if for the 1.6 this website do tb's www.sbdev.co.uk for approx £1700 + vat including tb's all parts and stand alone engine management, althought that semed a little pricey to me, i am still waiting for them to get back to me next week when they are back in the office.

It may be worth paying the extra for the diblias (or reagal) for the waranty on them, and something that is designed for the engine rather than being bolted on.
    Astra VXR in Star Silver - Officially the 2nd Rarest Colour

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    its for the x20xev.

for the bike carbs all in all im looking at the 1200 mark the regal kit is 1400-1500 mark

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm gonna to say bike carbs! 'R1 Bike carbs' sounds alot better than 'a regal kit' when people ask waht it is.

What work will be doing to the bottom end Brett? are you going for a crazy high rev limit? bike carbs at 8000rpm would be fantastic! :evil laugh:

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.importperformanceparts.ne.../pek-opel.html

been looking into this but Im not going for balls out power, im looking for a drivable well handling car.
    My aim is for 160 170 bhp but bhp dosent really mater much to me tbh. I want it drivable.

And dont want to be spending stupid amounts on things that im not going to really see the benifits from.

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good plan,plus with uprated bits a bobs if you fancy upping the power it should be pretty easy. are you gonna change the cams?

How much torque are you after? I would associate a 'driveable' car with having a decent amount of torque which is useable from low down. I.e you don't have to rev high to pull away etc? do you share this opinion?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I dont really want to change the cams tbh as a cammed car does lose its driveabilty but, I would need to look into that more.

Im not a top end man, I like acceleration, hence my ideal choice of gear box will be a f18. but they are like rocking horse shit for the mk4 astra. So I will end up going for a f23. A lightened flywheel and uprated clutch will help though along with a quick shift.

The bottom end of this engine is pretty sound though, So I may just replace the bearings ect. If its not broke dont fix it kind of thing.

Im hoping then engine will be in and running by march and the throttle boddies on for gti international, depending on what route I go for.

I know its a little off topic but does anyone have any experiance with omp fast road clutches. I currently have a ebc performance clutch fitted to the 1600, and that aint too bad.
    And how does the uprated clutch compare to the oem clutch?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    some 255degree mild cams from someone like Piper should get you more low-mid torque without affecting the driveability, and without making the idle lumpy.

also have you thought about a 2wd 6 speed F28 conversion?? I don't know if it would fit as I imagine it to be quite a big box, but with altered ratios, could be amazing

would the twin TB's off a 3.0 Omega fit?? Probably not as big as 4 bike carbs, but they are different.

Is your X20XEV cable throttle, or fly-by-wire Brett??
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay
    some 255degree mild cams from someone like Piper should get you more low-mid torque without affecting the driveability, and without making the idle lumpy.

also have you thought about a 2wd 6 speed F28 conversion?? I don't know if it would fit as I imagine it to be quite a big box, but with altered ratios, could be amazing

would the twin TB's off a 3.0 Omega fit?? Probably not as big as 4 bike carbs, but they are different.

Is your X20XEV cable throttle, or fly-by-wire Brett??

Its cable throttle. 4 bike t/b's would allow more air than the twins from the omega, the same amount of work would need to be done to make it fit. The cost factor would vary little.

I dont think the engine would benfit from a f28 box, 6th would be wasted imo as I would rarley get to use it tbh.

I like the idea of the cams. Do piper reprofie the origional cams for this or is a complete replacemrnt?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think they can do either. Geoff had his reprofiled, took about 3-4 days from door to door IIRC.

If you had the ratios in the F28 made closer to get through them quicker, then you'd need 6th for motorway/autoroute cruising
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast