Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How an engine works - technical!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question How an engine works - technical!

Ok, I know the basic principle of how and why an Internal Combustion Engine works, and understand the affect that Superchargers and Turbochargers have and what they do. BUT...

Where can I read up on all the anciliary bits under the bonnet so that I better understand what things do and their effect on the way the engine runs, before playing with it??

Specifically I want to know about Engine sensors and things like the Throttle Body, Fuel Injection, Ignition System, Alternator, Cooling System etc.

Things like Air-Con, Heater etc would be useful, but not really necessary for what I want to learn now.

Thanks,
    Tim
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wikipedia is bloody good

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get last months fast ford, they have a big tech section in there which that month covers every sensor imaginable and what it does to the engine. Previous issues have also gone into depth about things like advancing ignition timing and how turbos work etc, great read every month.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hate most Fords though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't read it for the chance to look at ugly fords Just this mag in particular contains a large amount of tech stuff, as im sure you'll agree the cosworth engine has had a lot more development on it than most vaux engines, only one that comes close is the C20 XE but not turbo tech to think of there. Like this month they are explaining how an ecu works, its great. Oh and next month they are explaining how a cylinder head works and what effect valves and lifters etc have on tuning.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo
    I don't read it for the chance to look at ugly fords Just this mag in particular contains a large amount of tech stuff, as im sure you'll agree the cosworth engine has had a lot more development on it than most vaux engines, only one that comes close is the C20 XE but not turbo tech to think of there. Like this month they are explaining how an ecu works, its great. Oh and next month they are explaining how a cylinder head works and what effect valves and lifters etc have on tuning.
    sounds just like how alot of car mags used to be.Full of useful interesting stuff and actually worth reading.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hence why i buy it with out fail every month mate, much more interesting than looking at some little ponces efforts at maxing his credit card for some garage to weld his doors the wrong way round

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Each to their own but I share your views TBH! I may have a nose at Fast Ford just for old times sake, I was never really a Ford fan but used to get occasionally for the reasons you mention, cheers for jogging my memory!

Now for a daft question, what section is this thread in as the only way i can find it is by virtue of the fact that its had the newest post and is shown as such in the main forum area, quite pissed and really struggling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast