Thread: Intermmitent idling problem on GSi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Intermmitent idling problem on GSi

Seem to have a problem with my GSi on occasions, a few months ago i was parking up and suddenly the car wouldnt idle properly-it was like it was just about to stall, the yellow lights came on and then the revs would suddenly shoot up and then yo-yo between nearly stalling and revving again!

The engine management light came on so got it in under warranty and they put a new "boost pressure valve" on it.

Everything was fine but on two occasions it has occurred again, both times i was stuck in traffic on the motorway and it occured for about 10mins nearly stalling then went completely back to normal with no engine management light coming on!? Car drives suberb at the moment so just waiting for the next time it does it! Oh and the two occasions were 3months apart!

oh also when this happens the needle on my water temp gauge goes right down to the bottom! only returns back past the 80c mark when problem dissapears!

Any1 any ideas why this is happening??????
    Former GSi owner, now own a plastic car with a vectra engine......

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This happened on my GSi too mate! it was only about a year old and i had same idle probs and had my Boost pressure vavle changed also!

I had no running/idling probs after thou
    GSi Turbo - CS2 - 253bhp / 275ft/lb Torque
    1/4 mile - 14.62secs @ 95.5mph

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine has done that twice in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it. Both times were on the motorway aswell. Not sure the dealer ever got to the bottom of it but they ABS ECU first time and AFM second time.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIRC markja on here had an idle problem on his coupe turbo when he had it and it turned out to be a broken one way valve

its a little white valve that sits just under the very top of the crossover pipe where the fuel presure regulator sits

worth a try as they are only a few £ to buy
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine does that. Just ignore it tho and when it starts just revved it. Hasn't done it for a while. Thought its cos of my cos filter. Obviusly not. Found it was after some hefty bootin tho. Ah well least i know what causes it now.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had this happen to my gsi on several occasions. Had a new, ecu, and boost pressure valve, new crank sensor. Engine was only running on 2 cylinders. Found it was running cold, so they fitted new thrmostat. Fitted new spark plugs. In the end the wiring loom was stripped down and they found a poor earth connection. Touch wood been fine ever since.
    Astra Gsi Turbo, Courtenay Stage 2, Pre Cat, Miltek Cat Back.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so u reckon it could be the one way valve then eh? like i say it has only happened twice in 3 months after getting the boost pressure valve changed, warranty's ran out now so not gettin it plugged in to see if there any fault codes - can wait till i reach 40k n do it as part of the cam belt change service!

Still not sure why the water temperature guage goes to the minimum temp when this happens tho??? Cant think of how the two problems are connected?? Maybe it an electrical problem?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This problem has now happened again: Water temperature needle slowly receeded to the left to the minimum temp it could and the car wouldnt idle properly. Now it has resolved and is running perfectley. Why does this happen!!??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like a classic wiring fault. Have you got the problem with the earth wiring near the battery where the two earths are joined badly?
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, i had the earth fault too. Poor earth connection in wiring harness. Was idling rough and had EML and coolant light flash up.
    What fault code was the tech 2 showing? Mine was showing P1106 - Boost pressure control device malfunction.