Thread: MFD Replacement Clear Film

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MFD Replacement Clear Film

I want to change the LEDS in my centre console, i know that Kirsty is the LED expert but i've been told that on post 02 astra G models the MFD has an orange film in the LCD which gives the orange/cream look and no matter what colour you change the LEDS to you will still get the same effect, so what i'm after is whether anybody knows where i can get a clear film adapter from for an MFD

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    youll need to get a compatible MFD with a white diffuser and either swap em over or just simply fit that one in place of your original.

You'll obviously need one from an earlier model Astra G - theres 2 different versions iirc - and i dont mean standard and trip computer versions. The connections on the back are different.

Theres loads on ebay so maybe worth a punt.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh yeah 1 more thing...... Welcome to Astra Sport!

Any Qs u have post em up....maybe a lil piccy of ur pride n joy for us to see.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Drives
    Mk4 Astra coupe turbo
    Ashington, Northumberland, United Kingdom
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    remove the orange filter and cut 2 pieces of white paper the same size as the filter glue them together and place them in the mfd job done, the leds don't produce enough heat to cause any damage (See below)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    ^ thats a really good idea!
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit
    You'll obviously need one from an earlier model Astra G - theres 2 different versions iirc - and i dont mean standard and trip computer versions. The connections on the back are different.
    Actually Martin that's the heater control unit your thinking of, there are 2 types but they use the same connection, the internals are different, they aren't interchangeable internally.

I wouldn't recommend the paper method myself, the filter is actually a spring loaded pressure plate for the outer glass, it keeps the glass pressed up hard against the front plate, replacing this with paper would IMO mean the glass is free to move. Better method is one that came up recently, cut the inside of the filter out leaving just a frame, maybe cut a piece of frosted plastic like you get on some milk bottles and slot that in place.

The problem with most of these methods is the result I'm afraid. I've got the proper white filter in mine, even with 2 of Kirstys best LEDs the writing is illegible unless it's dark, you'll notice nobody takes a pic of the MFD lit up during the day, why? because you can't read it is the answer.

I'm still working on a mod which should eliminate this problem but like a lot of my mods I'm stuck for time and can't seem to finish them. However I may get round to doing it shortly as it looks like I'm not going back to work anytime soon as my backs gone again, another bloody slipped disc
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive done the paper version then just cut out the middle of the yellow mfd and mine works fine, btw paper is the best option imo as a friend has done his with the clear filter and its dull in the day as mine is bright as anything day and night, but my dials are not brights in the day, but my heater dials are also bright in the day. iirc i used two sheets of paper behind mine and works a treat or just get sum blue film to put behind it but choice is urs.

Danny
    SE2 coupe - veccy c airbox mod, total closure, blue led interior goodies, hid kit, angel eyes,led handle lights,kerb lights,uv footwell neons, twin exhaust,leds everywhere, tints,door pins