Thread: hit a kerb at 40mph

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hit a kerb at 40mph

i hit a spot of ice the other night and my asta slid straight into a kerb, i managed to catch it but the back end wheel smashed into the kerb, the wheel now has a big chunk taken out of it where it spraked on the kerb. When i took it to the garage to have the rear pads changed they noticed the rear spings had snaped. Now my back end sits fairley low after they lowerd it off the ramp, also the n/s rear bush has gone in the suspension strut.

The steering wheel is on the piss due to hitting the kerb, but i never hit the front on the kerb

ive had the tracking cheeked and all is ok, when im doing about 60mph it pulls to the left and the steering feels light, then other times if feels stiff, seems like there is some play aswell, could this be because the back end is lower and the front end is high?

Hope this makes sence

cheers
    Astra GSI Arden Blue
    518bhp 432 ftlb torque

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could the chassi be slightly kinked?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u have a broken spring on the back it will put the steering wheel on the piss.
    i drive an astra-f gsi special edition x20xev on throttle boddies
    http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.p...pecial+edition

www.mk3oc.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got similar problems, my front passenger wheel is buckled so when i hit 60 the steering wheel vibrates a hell of a lot, ive not had suspension problems as far as i know but i know the tracking is out of line and they cant do much about it cus my wheel is still buckled so if they re-align it it'll just un-align itself again.

it was more than likely the ice that threw your tracking out and not hitting the actual curb.

I'd get the wheels balanced and tracked again, if that doesnt sort it out you might wanna get a mechanic to check the suspension, steering column and strut's, basically the whole underside of your car, hope this helps you out pal and you get the problem sorted

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    chidley put ur buckeld wheel on the back you wont notice the vibrating as much.you wheel must be badly buckeled to keep puting ur tracking out if u fit it to the rear then it wont effect the tracking.

dannyboi get the rear spring sorted and i bet it will strighten up the steering alot then get the tracking sorted and it will sort ur problem.
    i drive an astra-f gsi special edition x20xev on throttle boddies
    http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.p...pecial+edition

www.mk3oc.com

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did the same thing at about the same speed and did £2500 worth of damage. All kinds of stuff got hammered so make sure you get everything checked out properly.
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wat did they need to do warrant £2500 of repairs? ? ? ? did u claim of pay it urslef?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Went thru insurance.

Needed two new alloys, two new tyres, new front pas shock and spring, new irmscher side skirt, new wing, front bumper respray, new driveshaft, and then the front pas wishbone and all the linkages and gubbins that go with it.
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how 2 wheels, when only one hit the curb, or was it front and back?? just curious cause ive got a similar problem, but mine hit a pot hole at about 40

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So youv had your tracking checked but your steering wheel isnt sitting right???? Was this the case before you bumped it or is it only sitting like this since.

I would ask a garage to give it a suspension check, make sure the lower arms etc. havent taken a battering these could easily have bent if it was hit hard enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast