Thread: k & n induction kit

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

k & n induction kit

I have been given a mint condition k & n induction filter, my problem is that it's for my 1.6 astravan but came off a vectra 2.6 v6! The filter is 3" across and my air pipe on the van is around 3mm smaller, therefore not a fit. Can anyone tell me if i can get a pipe to use as a convertor to make if fit or is there another way of fixing this easily?

DAVID

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u need to buy a reducer - u can buy rubber ones from B&Q or similar - or just make ur own from anything thats lying around that will do the same job - as long as it clamps up nicely - jobs a good un.

Prepare for the onslaught of comments from ppl on here slaggin off induction kits in favour of a derestricted box and panel filter .... .Bollocks to them!! just get the cone fitted and make sure u make a decent cold air feed - doubt the hose supplied is any good IMHO. once thats all sorted u should be ready to roll.

Any Qs just shout!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get a bit of thin silicone rubber pipe (same material that standard airpipe is made from) thats the same size as the bigger pipe then warm it up with a hair-dryer, and clamp it down tight on the smaller pipe with a jubilee clip (with a bit of glue underneath). When it the glue sets you should be able to remove the jubilee clip - or leave it for piece of mind.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    derestricted airbox is a myth anyway, the flanges are there for a reason I'm sure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyG
    derestricted airbox is a myth anyway, the flanges are there for a reason I'm sure.
    i think only with a direct comparison between the two u can comment on the benefits of one over the other. induction kits are better on colder running engines - especially the 8v variants whereas the derestrict method is proven to be better on warmer running 16v units - theres also personal preference - thank god every1 didnt all do the same - it'd be a very boring modifying scene.

Anyway Im sure David has already sorted the issue out as we discussed it via PM a few days ago.

As for the reason those pipes are there....yes its for noise regulations or some crappy legislation.... either way its a debate that could go on for ever, and no doubt will

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    8v loves the cone filters, whereas the 16v love the airbox job n panel filter. So i've found anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 1.8 loves my induction kit but I have 2 mates who have 1.6s and both had the same induction kit fitted to there cars. 1 of them had much better performance and the other 1 was alot slower so the only way to know is get one and find out.