Thread: Boost, really starting to get annoying, Gsi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boost, really starting to get annoying, Gsi

Right any thoughts, had a problem with my boost surging a while back fixed this by putting a new boost solenoid control in, which sorted it.

Now my boost has f****d up again, when i do the 40mph in 4th test it goes to 14psi and holds at 9psi which is spot on, but when i use 2nd and 3rd gear it will over boost like normal the hold then drop to 5 psi at around 3000 revs then works it way back up to 9psi and holds. It never used to drop to 5 psi like it is doing.

I thought it could be a leak but it would not hold perfect in 4th so i cannot see it being that, the only thing i can think of is the AFM but i have no lights up on the dash, but i did not have any lights when the boost solenoid control knackered up.

Any if any one else has had any similar problems with there turbo's and what you did to fix it would be greatly appreciated

Its a 53reg Gsi with 37500 miles on the clock

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Is there any kind of dump valve?

Ps. this should be in technical section.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes there is a bailey's dump valve and one way fitted but this has been fitted since i got the car.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi dave...gsi
    iv got a 54 zafira GSI and i was messing with my boost on friday and ever time it over boosted it put the light on with a car and a spaner in it when i read the fault memory it was logging wastgate solinoid this maybe some thing to look at do you no any one with a bosch KTS650 code reader it has a good A,V read out so you can go down the road and see what is going on we are baseed in york and my boss charge £45 to coderead with A,V's and £60hr diagnostic labbor hope ive helped and if you get stuck give use a bell (www.technicalcarservices.co.uk )

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I'm no turbo man but I think the dump valve has a spring and it can get worn out and leak boost when it should be closed. You may want to think about removing the baileys and running the standard one and see what happens.

Hope that helps. Sorry but I'm NA all the way
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ye the waste gate solenoid is what i have already replaced to sort the last problem (boost surging), unless this has gone again? but its only like a month ago when i replaced it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I assume the wastegate solenoid is the actuator?

Did you replace it with a standardone or uprated one?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no the waste gate solenoid is the little black box on the side of the turbo and has the vacum pipes going through it and a electric valve opening and closing letting the boost out (as far as i know)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do yourself a favour and remove the Baileys DV, they are not the best. I used to love mine, but I eventually got sick of all the running problems, the same as everyone else.....

You are having some strange symptoms there. If you could swap some parts with another turbo car as a process of elimination. AMM would be the first one to try, another BCS, although I doubt it.

The actuators do lose their springiness over time, which will allow overboost, but constant boost will tail off up the revs, and the BCS will compensate and bring the boost back up (hopefully). You may just need a turn on the actuator, but try the other things first
    Astra GSi Turbo, SOLD

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi dave
    ive just had a lok on auto data and thay show ther as being two wastgate actyators one bolted to the turbo intake pipe at the front off the engine and the 2nd one at the rear off the engine on the intake cap or aronund there not a good pick it all so mite be weath checking all the vac pipes on the engine and to the map sensor on the inter cooler have had simla brobs on a saab aero at work. hope ive helped a bit if i think off any thing else to try ill email you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast